Calling with a bar straw

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Uncle Nicky2

Calling with a bar straw

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » September 15th, 2011, 7:50 am

I have a buddy (non-turkey hunter) who can mimic a hen call, using a double-barreled bar drink straw...it's almost uncanny. I've tried to get the hang of this, but not much luck so far. Just curious...has anyone ever seen/heard this before..or better yet, called a bird in with a straw? I think it would be a blast to do this once, if even just for the novelty aspect.

mark hay

Re: Calling with a bar straw

Postby mark hay » September 15th, 2011, 2:26 pm

I have heard of it . It doesn't surprise me . It is the same principle as the wingbone, rivercane yelpers and the trumpets . Can't speak for everyone but the trumpet is by far the easiest to get good sound and more of the turkey vocabulary .

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » September 15th, 2011, 2:52 pm

You can also use a hollow plastic coffee stirrer. Hold the end of the stirrer in a plastic prescription pill bottle... bingo... something that sounds like clucks!

For those times when you don't want to take an expensive trumpet or wingbone call somewhere, the coffee stirrer will keep your embouchure in shape!

You can also use a cheap plastic ball-point pen (minus the ink and point! :roll: ).

Try 2 coffee stirrers and its a bit louder!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » October 15th, 2011, 4:13 am

Love doing that at the bar.. Its better when your in a little cafe in the spring and their is hunters in there.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 7th, 2012, 6:57 am

Ya can do it w/o the straw too. Just close your pointer finget and thumb to form a very small(straw sized) opening and suck/smack/kiss (hard to describe easier to show, you are drawing air in not blowing out) on the opening. cup our other hand around to create a hollow area for volume.
South Carolina Low Country

Return to Calling