Striker??

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Gobblernut

Striker??

Postby Gobblernut » April 21st, 2008, 7:15 am

Hey fellas I posted this ? over on a different topic my bad ..My Question is I want to make a striker out of a wing bone but not really sure how to go about it..I seen one on a video being used by Dick Kirby just wondering if anyone had some advice..Thanks...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

silvestris

RE: Striker??

Postby silvestris » April 21st, 2008, 12:58 pm

Drill a hole in the corncob a wee bit smaller than the bone.  You first want a friction fit to determine at what depth you get the best sound.  Then use a permanent glue for the final attachment.  Kenny Morgan made me a wingbone striker a few years ago with a corncob.  You may want to drill a larger hole on the other end of the cob, as Kenny did, and if you don't fill the bone with glue, you may have a striker/yelper combo.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 21st, 2008, 10:02 pm

So your saying to fill the bone it's self with glue and then glue it into the cob.
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

silvestris

Postby silvestris » April 22nd, 2008, 4:37 am

No.  Drill the hole on the small end end of the cob just big enough for a friction fit for the bone.  You can then slide the bone in and out to get the best striker sound.  Mark the bone so you know how deep to glue it in.  You then drill a larger hole from the other side of the cob to the depth where it will meet the boneor maybe a quarter inch deeper.  Then place your glue on the side of the bone to the depth of your mark and as you place your bone in the cob, twist a little to insure an air tight fit, being careful not to get glue in the inside of the bone or constricting the hole in any manner.  You then will have the best sounding striker and you may have a usuable wingbone caller as well.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Return to Calling