Call Frequency - Nooby Question

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Sooner44

Call Frequency - Nooby Question

Postby Sooner44 » April 20th, 2008, 4:56 pm

I have three different pot calls. Slate, Crystal & Glass.
The sound frequency is different between all surfaces, as would be expected, but I was wondering if one frequency is better than another. The Slate is a low raspy sound that I really don't care that much for, but I've heard the raspy calls can work well. The Crystal is kind of a midrange frequency that sounds really well in my opinion, while the glass call has a much higher frequency / pitch. The glass call works well but sounds a bit too high.
I this normal with these differents surfaces / materials ??
and, is one prefered over the other ? use all three ?

I'm new to turkey hunting, so excuse my questions if they seem a little dumb.

Thanks

Sooner

multibeard

RE: Call Frequency - Nooby Question

Postby multibeard » April 20th, 2008, 8:44 pm

The turkeys will tell you what they prefer by how they respond. Switch around until you find what turns that "particular" bird prefers.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 21st, 2008, 8:35 pm

Is this normal with these differents surfaces / materials ??

Sooner-

Sounds like you have a good ear and pretty much have the inherent sounds of each surface material pegged.

Taking it one step further, each call will produce a different tone on different areas of the surface. Working toward the edge of a pot will generally produce a higher pitch while the center of the call will yield a lower tone, the call's natural voice. If you rotate the call 90 degrees the pitch will change again as you re-orient the grain of the surface material.

Now add to all of this the material of the striker. And that striker materials can be switched on different calls. You can easily see that a myriad of combinations and tones are available and at your disposal.

Changing it up can sound like several hens in a variety of moods. And has been noted, you never know which tone will tickle a gobbler's fancy!

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Sooner44

Postby Sooner44 » April 22nd, 2008, 4:25 pm

Thanks for the replies !!!

And yes, I have found that each striker makes a different sound, now I'm matching strikers to calls for the best sounds.

Sooner

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 24th, 2008, 3:26 am

Follow-up question...

Is it really possible to find the call that a tom will respond to and NOT over call in the process?  It seems that changing call selection around to find the one that works would mean calling with one....waiting a bit, then calling with another...wait a bit, ect.  Over calling?

Am I just over analysing things?  I have a week untill the opener, so I think I'm just over excited.

Doc

Charley B

Postby Charley B » April 25th, 2008, 4:05 am

ORIGINAL: grunt_doc

Follow-up question...

Is it really possible to find the call that a tom will respond to and NOT over call in the process?  It seems that changing call selection around to find the one that works would mean calling with one....waiting a bit, then calling with another...wait a bit, ect.  Over calling?

Am I just over analysing things?  I have a week untill the opener, so I think I'm just over excited.

Doc

From my experience with eastern turkey, It is always possible to overcall and ''spook'' the bird or stop him from coming toward you.  Take the feel of the bird first, if you have answer from a gobbler, the call you are using should work, but If you see that the bird don't come closer, use the same call, but with a different hen call such as cut or a mix of yelp and cut to immitate a frustraded hen for example.  It might trigger the gobbler and maje him investigate furter...
There Is no fail proof tactic, obviously, experience Is the key to adapt your calling with the daily mood of the bird...
Good luck and most important, have FUN!
Charley

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 25th, 2008, 4:35 am

Is it really possible to find the call that a tom will respond to and NOT over call in the process?

If you think you may be overcalling, you probably are...

Usually, if you get a tom to answer a second time, he's probably coming and that's a good time to shut up and make him look for you. Some subtle clucks and scratching in the leaves can convince him that there is a hen there. That is called "confidence" calling, as you are boosting the tom's confidence. Too many hunters get a big kick out of making the turkey gobble and try to "call him all the way to the gun." That might work on excited two year olds, but a sage boss will smell a rat when he pinpoints the source of excessive calls and doesn't see a hen.

On the other hand, if nothing answers, there may not be any turkeys around. In this case you have nothing to lose by trying different calls, just wait five minutes or so between calling or try calling from different positions.

I'll leave you with this Edward McIlhenny nugget from 1914 that was posted by Silvestris-

"It is not so much what one should do in calling, but what one should not do, as it is better to leave things undone unless done right."

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » April 25th, 2008, 6:12 am

ORIGINAL: grunt_doc

It should come as no suprise to those who have read my previous posts that I disagree with those who warn about overcalling.

Overcalling is one of the most overued myths in turkey hunting. Turkeys are not afraid of turkeys! How are you going to learn how to call if you don't do it?

You asked if you should call with one...wait a bit, then call with another, etc. EXACTLY! And I'll go a step further, call softly with each one, then call loudly with each one, then call loudly and aggressively with several at once.

Yes, I do lay my calls down from time to time. But the more I call, the more turkeys I tag.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » April 25th, 2008, 8:09 am

Think I'll stick with Jordan.  That is the most important quote in the book.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

toad13

Postby toad13 » April 26th, 2008, 12:35 pm

If he sounds like he is a good way off , I call a bit loud . If he is up close I go soft as I can . If I slip up and make a bad call , and he goes quiet I go quiet and let him gobble 3 or 4 times before picking back up the call . Me and a bud got on 2 in seprate trees this morning and worked them in the tree for 45 minutes . They didn't come in to us but we had fun trying .One time  my box call got wet and had to switch to a mouth call mid-duel - it made the bird hang up a bit .  If you have the time and  room to work different birds try different things on them and keep notes of what happens .

Next

Return to Calling