Went to Pratice on live birds

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
RNC

Went to Pratice on live birds

Postby RNC » April 10th, 2008, 2:22 am

This spring is my first time turkey hunting so last night I decided to head out to the local archery range where I have seen some turkeys and pratice some calling. Just before leaving my 8 year old daughter asked to go along. Just as we got to the range a tom corssed the road. We watched where he went into the next stand of woods and dug some calls out. As soon as I yelped a few times a second tom gobbled from across the road and he was close. I then gave my daughter a push/peg call and she got him to gobble several more times. After several minutes he came out on the road to check us out. He never strutted but my daughter had him gobbling like a champ. He eventually went off and my daughter was grinning ear to ear and said "Bet my friends havent ever done that". We then went looking for more turkeys and found a hen a good 100-150 yards in an old corn field. After a few calls she came running at us and ended up about 15 yards from us. So three turkeys and a dozen deer sighted later and I dont know who had more fun my daughter or me.

tnstrutseeker

RE: Went to Pratice on live birds

Postby tnstrutseeker » April 13th, 2008, 10:15 am

awesome!!!  I love to take my little ones out.  I have more fun just watching them than I do hunting.  You've engrained a memory that will last a lifetime.  You may have trouble in the spring woods from now on though - who gets to shoot first?

Thanks for keeping the heritage alive in your family.

RB

dmcianfa

RE: Went to Pratice on live birds

Postby dmcianfa » April 30th, 2008, 11:14 am

Yeah,

good to see kids excited about good old hobbies like huntin' and callin' turkeys!
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Return to Calling