Yeller Hammer

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
jpb

Yeller Hammer

Postby jpb » April 29th, 2008, 3:02 pm

Ok guys im in need of some help.I was drying out my gear from todays hunt,and had all my calls laying out.Well my kids start playing with them,so i try to teach them the little i know.My kids are 8,4 and 2.Everthing was going well and we were having fun until i noticed my baby using a crayon on my yeller hammer.Any one have any ideas on how to clean it with out ruining it? I dont want to use it until its cleaned because i dont want to transfer any crayon from the striker to another slate.
Joe

Fan Club

RE: Yeller Hammer

Postby Fan Club » April 29th, 2008, 3:22 pm

The Yella Hammer is basically a ceramic synthetic slate.

The crayon is basically wax.

I take glass votive candle holders that have candle remnants in them and put them in the freezer for about an hour. With a screwdriver, the hardened wax plug pops out in one piece. (Thank you Martha Stewart.) I'd put the call in the freezer and then try scraping the hardened wax off with a single edge razor blade. Avoid heat as that will melt the wax into the surface. If you manage to remove most of the hardened wax this way, a green scotch pad should remove the rest and resurface your call. Aren't children wonderful? Gotta love 'em.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

jpb

Postby jpb » April 29th, 2008, 5:44 pm

Thanks Fan Club..Ill give that a shot.I figure the worst that happens is i mess up the call.It could have ended up with a TV remote and a set of keys.Never to be seen again.
Joe

Sooner44

Postby Sooner44 » April 29th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Mineral spirits, paint thinner or turpentine will disolve crayons. I would soak a rag in any of the above and try to remove the wax. I would try the freezer trick, as stated earlier, then remove the remaining with chemicals.

Sooner

jpb

Postby jpb » May 1st, 2008, 10:29 am

Fan Club..The freezer trick worked out well. My call is back up and runnin..thanks.
Joe

Return to Calling