Limb time!!!

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Gobblernut

Limb time!!!

Postby Gobblernut » April 27th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Fellas..what are some opinons on nasty cloudy rainy mornings. So I take it that the birds are not going to gobble much and probably stay on the limb a while longer..So is the best technique to just sit up and wait for one to gobble own his then move in. Or should one just go through the regular morning routine hope for a shock gobble. Haven't really hunted much in the rain or foul weather after all it's just my second year..Thanks for any input..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Dank

RE: Limb time!!!

Postby Dank » May 14th, 2008, 6:15 am

Head to the fields if you've got any.
Failure is often our best teacher.

JPH

Postby JPH » May 15th, 2008, 5:59 am

Good news = Wet / cloudy weather can help you to slip in close to roosted birds. It gives you more time and quiet walking.

Bad news = Wet / cloudy turkeys tend to be tight jawed on the roost and late in flying down.

For lack of a better plan, I would suggest moving in close to a known roosting area before dawn. Try to place yourself between the birds and the nearest open field. The more I hunt, the less I call on the limb. Let them come down before you start talking to them. If you are lucky, they'll swing by to pick up another hen on their way to the fields. If that fails, plan B would be to move to the field edge, stake a decoy and call intermitantly.

Two of my kills this season were cloudy day turkeys. They both to fell to plan B as described above. Good luck. 

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 15th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info fellas!! There is one thing for certain we sure can't kill'em sitting on the couch..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 16th, 2008, 5:22 am

LOL. Boy that is the truth Gobblernut. I actually look forward to a little rain. Less hunters in the woods and so far this season I have seen more birds when it has been raining. I got up this morning and it was a downpour. A little too rainy for me. I do have my limits when it comes to rain.LOL. But As for how to hunt on rainy mornings. I just go in and set up close to feilds or open areas. Usually the birds will sound off a few times when they hit the ground so I try not to call to much in the mornings unless it sounds like they are moving away. Good luck and keep after them.

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » June 6th, 2008, 9:47 am

I hbunt from a dubble bull blind and the best for my set is to be early cause the birds dont like the rain no more then we do..The turkey does what he does 365 so when it rains he still is killable,just wait him out..zipperman

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » June 6th, 2008, 3:05 pm

looks like your gettin' some good advice but heres another option if you don't have feilds to set up on use old loggin' roads they create an opening to keep the birds from brushing up on bushes & getting wet & it also creates a canopy keeping some of the existing rain off of them & get yourself a blind you will stay dry & stay longer ameristep makes some affordable & super tuff models

Return to Calling