Tom Calling

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
grunt_doc

Tom Calling

Postby grunt_doc » October 9th, 2008, 5:39 am

I was reading about fall hunting online, looking for more strategies to try, and came across some info on tom calling.  Exactly how would I sound more like a tom?  I've only ever heard them gobble.  What do their yelps and clucks sound like?  Deeper?  Raspier?  Is there any difference to the cadience?
Marlinspike Lanyards

trkyklr

RE: Tom Calling

Postby trkyklr » October 9th, 2008, 9:24 am

the yelp itself is slower & the tone is deeper when you hear it you will know,but the best way to tell is when you can see & hear one yelp.i took a bird 2 springs ago that came in yelping i have wondered since if he was yelping because he was not the boss bird & figured if he was gobbling the boss bird would come & kick his a$$   (thats my take on the question,hope it helps)

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 9th, 2008, 2:54 pm

When I first got started , I never read or heard of toms doing anything but gobbling, spit n drum, alarm putt and fighting purr. So one morning ,just after making some soft yelps I hear this CLUCK,,, CLUCK ,,,, CLUCK. I turned my head slowly toward the direction of the call to see this 1 1/2 year old jake walking down a hogback ridge with his head down low and he showed no color in his head , just grey/blue like a hen. At first I thought it was a hen , except it was so big. then it got to a point where I could see the 7 inch beard. Even now I can recall thinking about how terrible the hen sounded, just before I saw the beard. That bird covered about 100 yards after it began to cluck, and it clucked right up to the gun shot. I first learned the gobbler yelp from a recording. During scouting last spring we heard more toms yelping than any other call. I imitate the yelp and cluck best on a mouth call by letting it lie loosely on my tongue and gently forcing air up as I humm, opening and closing my mouth in proper cadence. The cluck I just open and close with a little more quickness in the movement of my mouth. Like I have mentioned in other replies/posts the 2001 Fall issue of T&TH is a gem to hold on to for the info it contains on fall gobblers .        hope there is something here to help. good luck good hunting             ''ostt''

chuckscalls

Postby chuckscalls » October 13th, 2008, 3:56 am

I made my own gobber box to hunt with this year .....

Return to Calling