Striker Tips

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
brantley6400

Striker Tips

Postby brantley6400 » July 14th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I saw on a hunting show a guy using a pot with a striker tip that looked burned. Just wondering if that why? Does it make re-conditioning the tip unnecessary. Does it work on only certain surfaces?

Cut N Run

RE: Striker Tips

Postby Cut N Run » July 15th, 2011, 2:52 am

I know a guy who carries a disposable lighter in his vest that he uses to heat the ends of his wood strikers to dry them out.  By having the tip dry and not damp from humidity, he gets a cleaner, crisper sound to his calling.  I believe if you heated the striker too much then you'd destroy the tip and shorten the striker.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 19th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Back in the old days, before we had access to a lot of these exotic woods, burning the tip was a way to make the striker harder. Burning the wood will seal the pores up tighter and make the wood harder. It's used today more on softer wood strikers, a lot of the short strikers had the tips burnt so the striker slips more, most short strikers are a low pitch and burning it helps them play better.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 20th, 2011, 11:40 am

Old days?[:-]  I still burn some of my striker tips, didn't know why except it makes some of them sound better.
Thanks for the reason.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » July 20th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Thats very interesting never heard of that. May haveto try it.
Brian

TeocTom

Re: Striker Tips

Postby TeocTom » October 24th, 2011, 11:56 am

My cousin usely burns the end of his striker tips. One time in the woods i had to give him one of mine that i had made becuause he overheated it and it basically burned up. I really can't tell the difference. i use a walnut striker on glass because it grabs really well and i can make some great purrs with it. I am afraid that if i burn the end it will loose the grip on the glass.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 25th, 2011, 10:12 pm

I like to scrape the tip lightly with a knife to clean them , it makes the wood lay down and hardens the tip. Sanding will raise the grain to a certain extent.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » December 5th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Anyone favor strikers that have had the tip "hot dipped"? It's certainly another way to harden the tip of a striker without burning it.

My current favorite striker is a K&H striker with a coated tip that I found at Cabela's bargain cave last March. Not sure but I think it came from a "White Liar" call. The tip is coated in a thin gray material (epoxy?)

It makes all of my calls come alive, whether slate, ceramic, glass or aluminum. It seldom needs conditioning and has a real bite to the surface. I'm fairly sure it was designed and intended to be waterproof with the call it was originally paired with.

I could be wrong but I see the mass produced call makers heading in this direction as there has been a huge influx of waterproof calls on the market the last couple years.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 5th, 2011, 2:44 pm

I don't burn the tips of my strikers.

For one, I'd be scared of messing up the tip by burning it too much.

Also I carry several different strikers of various wood with me. I do that because they each make different sounds on my pot call. If I were to burn the tip it may negate the differences in wood a bit and that would go against why I carry the different woods.

If one of my strikers doesn't seem to be working properly it usually needs cleaning. I am reluctant to sand the tip of a strikers as that may change the shape of it. A green scrubber pad can clean a striker or scraping with a knife works too. Another way I clean a striker is with a sterile alcohol pad. This seems to clean out the pores of the wood pretty good. I just rub the pad on the tip and wait for itto dry thouroghly, about 5 minutes.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Return to Calling