wing bone call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
allaboutshooting

RE: wing bone call

Postby allaboutshooting » November 21st, 2008, 5:37 pm

Hey Steve,

That's a beautiful call. Do you use it when you hunt?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 22nd, 2008, 7:04 am

Thank you Clark, I use it will next spring.  The bones came from my first turkey.  It is one of my goals to learn to use it.  I taught myself the mouth call on my drives to work while listening to tapes of turkeys.  It is hard to drive and practice the wingbone calling[:D]  I have a new brezeway almost complete so I will practice out there, away from the family.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 22nd, 2008, 7:19 am

Hey Steve,

I certainly understand about that practicing part. I used to practice mouth calls in the car...when I was alone.

All this talk about wing bone calls really has me wanting to make one, especially after seeing yours.

I have a wing bone call that I got somewhere. It's very pretty and was made by a "T Sheffler". That's all I know about it. It has a well done picture of a gobbler's head on the side with his name and a lone turkey track on the opposite side. It has a lanyard with a piece of neoprene to keep it on the middle bone. There's also a mouthpiece of what appears to be a plastic grommet of some sort.

I must have bought or won this call at an NWTF banquet in the 1980's because I know I've had it for years but just don't remember where  I got it.

At any rate, your call is very well done and I wish you all success with it this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 22nd, 2008, 9:24 am

good day to all
my youngest stepson rolled the head of a 19 pound jake 2 spring seasons ago. he wasn't interested in the wings so i snatched'm up and made 2 wingbone calls . found the recipe in ''ohio outdoor news'' which is the exact same article as printed in a hardcover book on turkeys put out by the North A merican Hunting Club. i followed the instructions to the ''T'' with the only exception being , i used ELMERS WOOD GLUE in stead of an epoxy. does that matter? i haven't a clue . both calls sound identical to me, even though one has 2 , #6 holes in it. i cut a small diameter wafer from a deer antler ,drilled a hole in the center , and then filed the hole out to form fit the outside of the small bone. glued it in place with the same glue . i've seen wingbones and other suction calls with and without this feature. but it really helps me to have better control. and to be completely honest,,, I CAIN'T USE THE THING. all i get is a noise not unlike that of a two year old child blowing on a plastic trumpet. maybe it sounds better at a distance. anyway they are neat to have around . sometime back i watched a short video on this forum ,,,that feller could make his wingbone SING like the most educated of EASTERN TURKEYS.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 30th, 2008, 11:43 am

That wood glue won't hold up in weather Mark, but if it's just a pretty it might be all right. If ya wanna learn to suck bone, I'm here to tell ya that you'll spend more time practicing with a wingbone than most other calls, with the exception of a trumpet or tube maybe. Yet practice is the key and I mean a whole lot more than a mouth call takes. I think I'm pretty good at it but I ain't took one in the woods yet, if that tells ya anything.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                        L.K.LESLIE
                                                       HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
                                                       MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF                           

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 3rd, 2008, 2:50 pm

hey hoosier
the thought of that did cross my mind , however, the wood glue does make a good match in color with the bone. the next small jake or hen wing i can lay hold to , i'll get the proper epoxy.

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » December 5th, 2008, 3:02 pm

Iv made quite a few of the wingbone call,the Indians used this call almost as much as a blade of grass.There are so many things to make thoses calls with like 410 shells and rifle castings..There great in the woods when the mouth call or nothing else works a differnt sound!!!!   zipperman

benhanson

Postby benhanson » January 19th, 2009, 2:23 pm

i have a ? to go off trkyklr's does any one know how to make any other kinds of homemade calls

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 20th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Ben check out this web site www.customsawing.com They should have all the info you need for call building box or pot style. hope this helps
canecreekcalls.com

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 20th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Ben, check out this Custom calls online too.  The wingbone from your turkey is probably the most personal.  There are "kits" and parts on ebay.  You can personalize them to suit.

http://www.customcalls.com/
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Previous

Return to Calling