wing bone call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
trkyklr

wing bone call

Postby trkyklr » November 17th, 2008, 7:18 am

well ive got 3 hens that i havent thrown away yet (carcuses)can someone tell me how to make a wingbone call?& if i make one how to get a noise out of it?or ill mail someone all the wing bones for a call in return

allaboutshooting

RE: wing bone call

Postby allaboutshooting » November 17th, 2008, 8:42 am

Hey Ken,

Here's a great article that outlines everything you need and how to make a wingbone call.

http://www.customcalls.com/makeawingbonecall1.htm

It also gives you instructions in how to make it work.

I've considered making one of these calls several times but never have. Best of luck.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Morgan

Postby Morgan » November 17th, 2008, 9:03 am

I like a wingbone....and think the hen bones sound better.....I will try to remember to post some pics I have from some built in the 60's....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 17th, 2008, 12:37 pm

thanks for the info clark,maybe ill give it a whirl.ok yall answer this for me ive always heard that hen bones sound like a hen ,jake bones sound like a jake & gobbler bones sound like well a gobbler, have yall ever heard of such?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 17th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Hey Ken,

I think that has to do with the thickness of the bones. The article discusses that a bit too.  I'm sure it's just like a lot of other types of calls, it all depends on the preference of the user.

I used to hunt geese every day of the season and took a lot of folks with me when I went. I tried a number of different goose calls but finally settled on those made by Tim Grounds. Tim's calls were/are preferred by almost every goose hunter in this part of the world. When I'd ask a hunter why he was using one of those calls, he'd usually say something like, "Because that's what everyone else is using."

We tend to use calls that sound like those that others use. Sometimes, that's a mistake when hunting turkeys. At times I've only been able to call in a big gobbler by using a really different call. Not many people use wing bone calls, at least that's been my observation. I know people collect them but I've never seen one in the field.

It might be really interesting to make one and use it to see just how well it works. I may have to look to see if I still have a wing around that I can "process".

If you try it, please let me know how it comes out.

Thanks,
Clark

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 17th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Go Here: Google Books "The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting"

http://books.google.com/books?id=UCBDAA ... #PPA182,M1

Follow the instructions beginning on page 182 and you will have the finest wingbone caller possible.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 18th, 2008, 3:59 am

thanks for the info people

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 18th, 2008, 5:30 am

Hey William,

Thank you so much for posting the link to that book. What a fascinating account and history. It's really interesting to read how some of our predecessors looked at the wild turkey. I'm so glad they wrote their thoughts and accounts of what it was like when they were hunting and studying game.

I think it's also up to us to do the same today for future generations.

Thanks,
Clark

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 19th, 2008, 1:51 am

well when i got home last night i went out in the shop & started hacking on my wings suprisingly it didnt take as long as i thought it would,35minutes to be exact,thats how long it took me to get the bones out of 6 hen wings.i guess tonight ill scrape,cut,&boil them.maybe in a few days ill have a wing bone call to call my own

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 21st, 2008, 4:29 pm

Here is one I made.  (I hope)

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Next

Return to Calling