what kinda calls ????

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
allaboutshooting

RE: what kinda calls ????

Postby allaboutshooting » September 18th, 2008, 5:27 pm

I've used a number of different calls over the years. I try to use something that everyone else is not using. I hunt a lot of public ground as well as private ground. The private ground turkeys don't hear of lot of hunters calling but the public ground birds hear it all.

There have been times when a call that I did not think sounded anything like a turkey got the results that I wanted.

I know there are some fine custom call makers out there. All you need to do is go to any site that invites comments on turkey calls and you'll see more than can be imagined. It's great to see so many folks involved making calls of all types. Just a few years ago, there were not that many or at least you never heard about that many.

The number of call collectors has also risen dramatically in the last several years. That's also a great thing. It encourages call makers and adds to the enjoyment of our sport.

For the past year or so, I've been "toying" with the idea of performing tests, subjective and objective of turkey calls, just as I have with turkey chokes and turkey shotshells. I think it might be interesting and perhaps informative for my readers. I've only hesitated due to the large numbers and types of calls that are on the market today.

Great subject!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

CSHall

Postby CSHall » September 29th, 2008, 5:54 am

All the calls I carry are custom.
   I carry a custom Trumpet call-sometimes the only call I carry as it will do everything including gobble and some other calls a box won't do.
   I will also carry a custom tube call, and a custom box.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » September 29th, 2008, 11:06 am

Hi Mark, if your asking do I make a box call that will gobble, the answer is yes. and if your asking if I make a box call that will produce a gobbler yelp, the answer is also yes. Hope to hear from ya soon Mark.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                               L.K.LESLIE   

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 29th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Evenin' GENTS.      I read in one of H,HNTR 's replies that he was making a gobbler specific box call . That was since the middle of august. I definitely want one of those calls.BUT, it'll have to wait until late winter. Would love to have it for this fall season, but the money just isn't there .I'll just have to use the toys I have on hand. For spring hunting I really like to run into those places where there is a mix of age among the male birds and incorporate some jake talk around my hen talk. It can make a longbeard blind with jealousy .  later                      ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 4th, 2008, 12:47 pm

I was playing around with one of my locator calls this evening and made a usefull discovery. the call is named the HAWK CALL by hunter specialties. It'll make a fine low volume KEE-KEE as well as VERY LOUD. Also by blowing short bursts of air while fluttering your tongue it becomes the perfect predator call, imitating the distressed woodpecker. I have used it on coons and it'll bring them running. Oh yeah ,,, it will also sound identical to a redtailed hawk for a late morning locator in spring.

sledgehammer

Postby sledgehammer » October 7th, 2008, 10:32 am

I've tried all of them and I can only give you my vote, Box and Friction! I just received a custom call that I have been waiting for from hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com and is it ever a beauty.  It is The Elder model made with a Sassafras bottom and Purple Heart top, and can this baby sing!  I took it along with me to the deer stand last evening and called in six hens, what a blast. 

I never ordered a custom call before but I will be placing an order again for a friction call when Mr. Leslie gets them up on the website and I may order another box as well, this call is so sweet I can't wait for spring.  One more note, the pics of the calls on the website are great, but when you see that call in your hand you really get an appreciation for the craftmanship that went into it and that it was made just for you, signed and dated. [8D]
Jim

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » October 8th, 2008, 1:58 am

Thank you Jim, for giving myself an oppurtunity to help you in your pursuit of the wild turkey, and a really great custom box call. That combination you got, Sassafras box with Purple Heart paddle, has a real sweet raspy ole hen yelp, with a great roll over note on the end. The pot/frictions should be up on the site inthe next coupe weeks my friend, and I might need a couple weeks lead time on them, as right now they are gone as soon as they are finished. Jim, as I have told you before, I believe that I am currently recieving a blessing from above, and that blessing comes in the form of wonderful people like yourself, who are willing to become a Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls customer. I know Jim, that from our phone conversations, life has dealt you quite a bit of adversity, and you are dealing with it well. I want you to know that I will be praying for you, and I ask that any one that reads this, that knows Jesus as their Saviour, please send a prayer towards Heaven for our turkey hunting friend. Jim, you are the salt of the Earth and I'm daggone glad I've had an oppurtunity to get to know you,albeit only over the phone. I look foward to meeting you in the near future. Thanks Again!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                                L.K.LESLIE  

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm

I think in the past I have tried all brands of production based calls, but as it has been stated before custom calls truly do produce a more realistic sound, IMO. For the last 3 years I have used Cane Creek Calls. Doug hand streches all his own mouth calls and his friction calls are second to none.Get on the web site and you're sure to be impressed.
canecreekcalls.com

StevePA

Postby StevePA » January 18th, 2009, 5:56 pm

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter

Hi there Gobbler, I appreciate the inquiry very much, and ole Turkey killer is right. Ya just go to the website, have a look around, and then shoot me a call at 260-409-2418 and we'll get ya fiited for a REAL CUSTOM call. Gobbler, box calls are my passion, and I'm the only one involved in the creation of them, here at the shop. I select the wood species, I remove the excess wood until I find the box beneath, I shape and caress the box, and do all the sanding myself. I don't spray on some gloss finish. I handrub tongue oil into each call, with some getting 15 coats and all getting at least 7
, depending on the wood species. All calls have a birth date, and no to calls have the same date. All calls are laser engraved, and with my signature. Gobbler,my technique for the sound boards aren't done by 32nds of an inch or 16ths. I use a micrometer and work within parameters of thousandths of a inch to attain the tones I desire for my customers. No glue here either! I leave the inlays, ivory, and all the other fancy stuff to the other CUSTOM call makers. I just present a custom hunting box call for $50.00. Hundreds of guides,hunters, and outfitters across the U.S. and Mexico agree that what I do, is done right. After 2009 spring turkey season, the price will go to $75.00 per box, and now is the best time to order. Please don't wait till season is upon us, cause I will be very busy.
      Also, I have just released my new line of mouth calls, and I've spent a year in the evaluation of these calls and was unwilling to release them until I was sure they were of the quality that I demand. THE ARE! I'd put them up against any custom stretched call on the market.
           I hope to hear from ya soon Gobbler!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS,and STAY SAFE!
                                                                                        L.K.LESLIE
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

I'll take that bet......

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 19th, 2009, 3:44 pm

stevepa welcome to the lighter side.....hear theres not much going on  in the dark [8|]

PreviousNext

Return to Calling