what kinda calls ????

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
trkyklr

what kinda calls ????

Postby trkyklr » June 23rd, 2008, 10:52 am

what kinda calls do ya'll use customs or productions ?? boxes/slates?

Steve_In

RE: what kinda calls ????

Postby Steve_In » June 23rd, 2008, 5:19 pm

OAKMAST Walnut/Yellow Poplar Box, Primos Slate and Primos Old Glory w/ frictionite.  HS and Primos diaphrams.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Postby Guest » June 25th, 2008, 10:05 am

I am a fan of Woodhaven Calls, I have a few of there slate type calls and on of there Walnut real hen box calls. I like Cody slates too. The Woodhaven laminated wood strikers sound good on anyones calls to me. Woodhaven and Cody are what I would call Custom production calls, they are starting to get a little pricey seems like every year they go up about $10.00 in price. 

MAK

Postby MAK » June 30th, 2008, 3:44 am

Box Calls - I rotate Doug Camp, Albert Paul, Ben Lee, Shorty's and a local box maker's Chestnut call. 

Friction - Custom Sanderson slate and glass; Aluminum production call from Alumiglass.

Strikers - Rosewood, Hickory from Shorty's Calls; others picked up at Sport shows; usally 5 total.   

Yelper - Ralph Pelmar

Diaphragms - Primos; did carry custom stretched, but my source has become unreliable.

Thank goodnes for those 20 pocket vests! 
MAK

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » July 10th, 2008, 3:02 pm

The king of the roost is the box call,in my humble opinion, because it will reproduce every sound a turkey, tom or hen, can and or will make. My choice for box calls are Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls. I must admit that I'm a little biased, cause, well, ya see, I'm the man that makes em so darn good,and I have such great confidence in em, that I have the best guarantee in the industry. I'm also the only callmaker in the world that enables his customers to earn one free call a year. Just in case you are doubtful, please, go to Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls.com, and by the way, don't forget to sign up the FREE monthly box call give away!
       Just for the record, I don't believe there is such a thing as custom production. If I make a call for a customer, it's a custom. If it's already made, it's a production call thats sold.
       By the way there trkykllr, we never got your choices.
                                                                   GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, and STAY SAFE
                                                                                     L.K.LESLIE

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 11th, 2008, 9:20 am

???

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » August 10th, 2008, 8:31 am

Hoosierhunter, How can one purchase a great call from Ya!! Been using Cane Creek Calls.. A great call I would love to compare the two...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 14th, 2008, 10:22 am

go to his web site

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 15th, 2008, 2:20 am

Hi there Gobbler, I appreciate the inquiry very much, and ole Turkey killer is right. Ya just go to the website, have a look around, and then shoot me a call at 260-409-2418 and we'll get ya fiited for a REAL CUSTOM call. Gobbler, box calls are my passion, and I'm the only one involved in the creation of them, here at the shop. I select the wood species, I remove the excess wood until I find the box beneath, I shape and caress the box, and do all the sanding myself. I don't spray on some gloss finish. I handrub tongue oil into each call, with some getting 15 coats and all getting at least 7
, depending on the wood species. All calls have a birth date, and no to calls have the same date. All calls are laser engraved, and with my signature. Gobbler,my technique for the sound boards aren't done by 32nds of an inch or 16ths. I use a micrometer and work within parameters of thousandths of a inch to attain the tones I desire for my customers. No glue here either! I leave the inlays, ivory, and all the other fancy stuff to the other CUSTOM call makers. I just present a custom hunting box call for $50.00. Hundreds of guides,hunters, and outfitters across the U.S. and Mexico agree that what I do, is done right. After 2009 spring turkey season, the price will go to $75.00 per box, and now is the best time to order. Please don't wait till season is upon us, cause I will be very busy.
       Also, I have just released my new line of mouth calls, and I've spent a year in the evaluation of these calls and was unwilling to release them until I was sure they were of the quality that I demand. THE ARE! I'd put them up against any custom stretched call on the market.
            I hope to hear from ya soon Gobbler!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS,and STAY SAFE!
                                                                                         L.K.LESLIE
Mossy Oak Pro Staff

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 18th, 2008, 1:33 pm

I only have two custom calls , not that I don't want more ,I usually don't have the extra money or can make it stretch a little farther. I ain't nocking the folks that make custom calls  nor their calls. Happen to have a well stocked sporting goods store nearby that keeps my turkey and coyote diaphram calls on the shelf. BUT! I have often wondered if anyone was making a GOBBLER BOX CALL. Now I know and am thinking that I better lay hold to one of them .  Presently I use primos mouth calls and their freak friction call. The freak has the strap to attach to your leg and I added another to reach my belt. never need to remove it and it 's always ready. It really likes a carbon striker to produce those high pitchd hens in the spring and a hardwood striker to make a fine gobbler cluck. most of the time when i'm in the woods hunting i'll have two diaphram calls in my cheek and the freak on my leg.

Next

Return to Calling