purring

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
SamuraiTater

RE: purring

Postby SamuraiTater » January 26th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Take the call out of your mouth and hock a lugi.  Now do it again and pay particular attention to how the back of your tongue presses up against the roof of your mouth.  You feel the sensation all the way at the back of your mouth / beginning of your throat.   ....Now place the call in your mouth and hock a lugi again.  I don't think you can effect anything other than the trilled whistle you're hoping to create.

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » January 26th, 2009, 6:27 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

[:-] Won't a "lugi" gum up your diaphrams ?

No lugi's for me [:@]...just a deep gargle.

I imagine it would.  .....But then again, you wouldn't actually be hocking flem from the back of your throat each time you tried to call.  The "lugi" reference was just so that someone could initially figure out the magic to making the sound.

Sometimes the same old worn out instructions just yield nothing and you have to try a fresh approach.  In baseball I heard the phrase "Keep your eye on the ball" too many times to mention, but I never quite understood until someone phrased it different and said, "Son, I want you to see the ball rebound off the bat."  With that, I suddenly "got it" and figured out the fundamental element to hand-eye coordination.

If trkyklr is asking here, I'd bet the standard instruction hasn't done much for him.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 27th, 2009, 12:48 am

[:'(]...yall are making me sick..hey tater try drinking milk ive seen contest callers do that...later tater[:)]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 27th, 2009, 1:59 am

if i ain't mistaken , i believe we HUFF  air from our diaphram to make the yelps we desire. to purr i ease into a blowing of air over the call as it lies loosely on the tip of  my tongue. sometimes my tongue flutters ,other times my lips, and sometimes both. in doing this i have learned that i can also yelp very softly without opening my mouth, for those close birds.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 3rd, 2009, 6:05 am

I pretty much mimic the hocking a lugi technique.  It is also the best way to describe how I purr.  My buddy is one of the greatest box and slate callers that I've ever heard, but he bows down when the bird is real close and gives me that look to start purring.  I've practiced this call to get it just right for over a year and perfected it with various tones using my tip of my tongue on various spots of the reed and also how your lips are perced and how far open they are.  It generates a lot of spit with all that garble, but I havn't had a beard run from it yet, only sleek in a little to close the deal.  I'm not tooting my horn here, just trying to add to the fact that I've tried using my lips as motorboatin' and I've tried other various ways that never worked only sent the bird screamin' away, but the lugi thing is the best anyone could describe it thats for sure.  You'll find some mouthcalls are easier to do this with than others and It's probably different for everyone.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Previous

Return to Calling