purring

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
benhanson

purring

Postby benhanson » December 19th, 2008, 12:41 pm

how do you purr with a slate or diaphram

trkyklr

RE: purring

Postby trkyklr » December 19th, 2008, 2:32 pm

on the mouth call roll your tongue on the slate slowly drag the striker down the call

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 19th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Ben, ...I don't know how experienced you are with the various calls, but learning to do a realistic purr on a mouth call is probably the most difficult call to master.  On the other hand, with all of the good pot calls (slates, glass, etc.) available nowadays, purring on a pot call is very easy, and you can learn to do it very quickly.

As Ken said, the best purr on a mouth call is made by "rolling" or fluttering the tongue (which takes some practice to do well) and in combination with a kind-of gargling vibration of air from the back of the throat.  It is also done much easier on certain types of mouth calls than on others.  And another thing about purring realistically on a mouth call,....it is even harder to do when you have a big old gobbler out there about 50 yards that you're trying to coax in and your mouth is dry and you are a nervous wreck!  Best thing to do is stick with a good slate or other pot call!

Jim

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » December 20th, 2008, 8:16 pm

My daughter's boyfriend has recently taken an interest in turkey hunting, and regularly solicits me for information on the subject.  Of course I'm happy to oblige for two reasons.  A: It's fun to indoctrinate someone else into the sport.  And B:  It gives me a good reason to let a teenage boy with an interest in my daughter view my shotgun.

Anyhoo, he asks lots of questions, many of them about calling.  So the other day I bought a Primos mini-sonic dome diaphram call and gave it to him.  I demonstrated with one of mine and gave him some quick instructions.  He was able to make the basic purring sound in a matter of a couple of minutes.  It took me 6 months to make find the magic and make any audible noise on a diaphram call, it took him all of 6 seconds.  In short, this is the instruction I gave him:

Without the call in your mouth, hock a lugi.  .....Or whatever people from your neck of the woods call it.  You know, when you force flem from the back of your throat by huffing air.  Notice how the back of your tongue seems to press up against the roof of your mouth in order to make it happen.  Yeah, it's a lot like gargling.  Once you've done this once or twice and paid attention to the position of your tongue as you do it, put the diaphram in and try it.  You'll create that trilled whistle.

Cool, huh ?   ....Yeah, I know your excited that you just found the key to making it happen, but don't laugh.......you might mess around and swallow your diaphram.

What's really funny is when you carry the call around all day long in your cheek and you start playing around with it in all sorts of wierd ways.  Using combinations of cuts, kee-kees, and purrs, you can make music like a hitch pitched ka-zoo.  You can play all sorts of tunes that come out clearly recognizable.  Try kee-keeing "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" one time.   ....Go ahead, it's hilarious !

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 20th, 2008, 11:54 pm

hey TATER,
thats good info.        i really like the part 'bout the shotgun.
what you said about the tunes on the diaphram is correct. i been doing that for years . i heard an audio recording by ROB KECK years ago and he recommended that while driving , have the radio on and try to play along with the songs . it'll teach you the countless tones and pitches that you are capable of making on the mouth call. really helps when you're workin' a bird.           later

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 21st, 2008, 5:44 am

Samarai, I loved the comment about showing the daughter' boyfriend your shotgun....good one!

And regarding the mouth call purring method,...I thought about using the "hock a lugi" decription, but decided that it might offend some of these guys delicate senses....glad you did it for us!  Image

Yep, and I can play a mean "Dueling Banjos" and "Stairway to Heaven" rendition on my mouth call...just ask my wife!  [:D]Image

Jim

silvestris

Postby silvestris » December 21st, 2008, 9:27 am

Speaking of Keck, am I the only one who has noticed a strong resemblance between Keck and the Burger King?

Is that what he is doing these days?
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 21st, 2008, 10:19 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

Speaking of Keck, am I the only one who has noticed a strong resemblance between Keck and the Burger King?

Is that what he is doing these days?

Now that's funny!!  I really hadn't noticed but you are right....there is some resemblance!  Keck must have been moonlighting, though, 'cause the B.K. was around long before he got the boot....probably needed to supplement that meager salary he was gettin' from NWTF. 

JPH

Postby JPH » December 27th, 2008, 5:12 pm

Exhibit A:

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 28th, 2008, 5:12 am

Due to the superior investigative skills of JPH, it appears that the physical evidence is overwhelming......Case Closed!

Next

Return to Calling