Making a box or slate call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
dmcianfa

Making a box or slate call

Postby dmcianfa » May 5th, 2008, 10:40 am

I'm curious to those out there that already make these type of calls.  Can someone explain the equipment you would need to make each, the material and point me in the direction of a website or detailed instructions on how to construct both a box and a slate call?  I would really enjoy making my own and using them to enhance my turkey hunting overall expereience.  It would also be a good winter hobby way up north here eh![:D]
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Morgan

RE: Making a box or slate call

Postby Morgan » May 9th, 2008, 2:01 am

Very Addictive Hobby....[:D].....I started out with a table saw...I now have a band saw....drill press...midi lathe...belt sander..dust collector...etc....it is kinda like turkey hunting...you accumulate a lot...

If you don't want to buy all the tools...you can buy pots already turned and box call kits....and put them together...
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

ct swamphunter

Postby ct swamphunter » May 9th, 2008, 5:02 am

Buyng the kits with all the parts already done sounds good.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 9th, 2008, 6:44 am

I have a woodshop in my garage. LOL And yes gathering tools can be addictive. When I got onto turkey hunting it was a sure thing I would end up building my own calls. I had found a couple places online that showed diagrams. Email me at fcjr35@verizon.net If you would like me to send you the diagrams. Good luck. I'm sure you will enjoy your new found love.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » May 12th, 2008, 4:27 am

I have been making custom calls for 10 years now, and I specialize in single piece box calls and am a master carpenter and I,m always learning to this day.you may contact at hoosier.hunter@comcast.net or hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com for a little eye candy. Three things you will need in abundance ,patience,time,and cash. Bestof luck 

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » May 12th, 2008, 5:43 am

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Hoosier,

thanks for the advice and your calls look pretty sweet.  I am also looking at a one piece design as well, due to the fact that you don't have sound loss from the glueing of multiple pieces and the different expansion and contraction rates of multiple pieces.  Do you find one piecers sound better, but are harder to construct?
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 13th, 2008, 9:05 am

If you have a good router and your proficent with it it's not that hard really. But keeping it consistant when makeing multiple calls can get tricky unless you make a jig.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » May 31st, 2008, 8:00 am

One piece box's are always harder to make than glue-ups, just because there is more time involved in the work to be done, unless one is using a cnc router or a plc mill. I believe that one piece calls do sound better than glue-ups, but I'll admit I'm somewhat biased. Remember that as you build your call, different woods have different tones as does the thickness of the the sound boards affect the pitch and tonal quality, as does the wood selected for the stiker or paddle. Remember, Patienceand Perseverance
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 1st, 2008, 2:12 pm

I live in south central ohio where there once was an abundance of box turtles ,but the rapidly growing numbers of coyotes I would bet the little turtles are on the decline . Every spring , while turkey hunting I find several empty shells or turtle sheds. Some will be chewed up by rodents but some are in excellent shape. I have cleaned them and stained the outside with ordinary wood stain just for camo purposes.  I have two with a piece of a slate shingle inside and have also tried a piece of aluminum but I never finished it , but am sure it will work . I'm partial to more natural materials . With the proper striker , which took some trial and error will resonate some fine turkey talk .              later    ''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » January 28th, 2009, 2:46 pm

You can try this website for kits:

http://www.customsawing.com
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Next

Return to Calling