Making a Box Call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Steve_In

RE: Making a Box Call

Postby Steve_In » January 27th, 2009, 12:33 pm

A Purdey!!!  That is a nice gun, it is good to see others hunting with the old guns.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 27th, 2009, 2:25 pm

I started making box calls 2 years ago. I think i have made about 6 or7 I made 4 the first late winter/ early spring and they were pretty neat. I havent had much time lately with college and work but I hope to make some time to make at least one for this season.  I used to work at a flooring store and I took all the the old Hardwood flooring samples when the owner was going to throw them out.  I made the calls out of this wood. It was neat because the one side of the wood is prefinished. So the calls are very nice looking and they have a 25 year wear warranty lol.  I dont have any with me up here at college but when I get home I will take a few pics and post them. The types of wood I used are, brazilian cherry, hickory and walnut. They are by no means professional but Its fun to do.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 2nd, 2009, 2:40 pm

TC, I know a couple of guys that as soon as they pat the last shovel of dirt on you [:(]they will be digging you right back up[:o], or rather the call.[;)]

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » February 2nd, 2009, 3:38 pm

Nice hunting caller....like the tag on the bottom. Hopefully
it always finds its way back home.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 3rd, 2009, 4:14 am

I am pretty sure you would work alright after a cremation, but I am not so sure of your caller.  Better have somebody put it in the urn and bury it in your favorite hunting spot.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 3rd, 2009, 4:16 am

Turkey Comander just curious if you patterned your call after a Turpin Hen Box? The call looks similar its a very beautiful call too pretty to carry to the turkey woods.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 3rd, 2009, 5:34 am

Turkeycommander and to whom it may concern:

A few questions for a novice callmaker that has yet to build a one piece box call. 

1.  Which part is Ironwood, paddle or boat?
2.  If I have hearty Ironwood and white cedar in my area would this  
     make a good combination and if so in what way and why?
3.  How did you do that checkering?  That is just plain sweet!  Details if
     you don't mind or care to give away a secret or two!
4.  What is that diamond on the paddle and how did you do that?  That is
     really neat.  Looks like some gun stocks I've seen under the handle on
     older rifles!
5.  What tools do you need to start doing this and actually fashion it
     completely.  I would love to start this as a hobby in my spare time
     during the winter, but don't know where to start.

I would sincerely appreciate any input you may have for me as I am eager to learn this asap.  Thanks again for any advice anyone may have to offer!  You can pm if you feel it would take too much to explain in a thread.  God, this gets me fired up almost as much as a struttin spitter.

dmcianfa
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » February 3rd, 2009, 12:23 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

That's why I'm leaning towards cremation Greyghost

Here's another angle....I made the call in 2007.
It's been used in the death of 19 turkeys.

Do you play this call with the paddle tilted in towards the middle of the box ?....as opposed to keeping the paddle level and going straight across the box. I like the ivory(?) Inlay and have never heard of another call made out of apple wood.

One other question.....Can I have it ? [8|]

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 3rd, 2009, 5:24 pm

You can't even give me some simple answers to the nonproprietary questions.  that makes me think you may have not even built this call at all.  They are pretty simple questions, no?  I hardly believe they would take very long to answer.  If you don't feel like giving away any secrets then just say so please!  Hope you can help someone whos looking for just a spare time hobby.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » February 3rd, 2009, 6:08 pm

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

You can't even give me some simple answers to the nonproprietary questions.  that makes me think you may have not even built this call at all.  They are pretty simple questions, no?  I hardly believe they would take very long to answer.  If you don't feel like giving away any secrets then just say so please!  Hope you can help someone whos looking for just a spare time hobby.

Kind of harsh don't you think ?....you need a time out.....LOL

PreviousNext

Return to Calling