what call should I use?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
thundrchikin

RE: what call should I use?

Postby thundrchikin » January 16th, 2009, 11:14 am

turkeytracks I suggest that you get on the cane creek calls web site as it has alot info on calling with a variety of calls and it is alot cheaper than buying videos
canecreekcalls.com

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » January 16th, 2009, 11:26 am

hoosierhunter, I went and picked up some mouth calls yesterday and I guess I'm coming along with it pretty good.

Gobbleking57

Postby Gobbleking57 » January 16th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Turkeytracks, all you need to kill a turkey is a call you can tree yelp(soft), cluck,and purr on. Try a slate over glass pot with a good striker. Get in close to the birds on the roost and work em soft. Loud is bad, remember that, unless you are late in the morning trying to locate.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » January 21st, 2009, 12:11 pm

Learning to call on a mouth call is easy stuff..Dont fall for the beginners crap that companies put out there..Its a sales pitch and nothing more..

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » January 21st, 2009, 6:42 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeytracks

hoosierhunter, I went and picked up some mouth calls yesterday and I guess I'm coming along with it pretty good.

Mastering a diaphram call is probably your biggest ally when it comes to calls.  One thing I'd suggest is not to get discouraged.  You'll figure out the magic secret to making it work and when you do, it will happen all at once.  I went 6 months without being able to get a sound out of it, then I did something different late one night and low and behold.....  A whistle emitted from my mouth.  It was like learning to ride a bicycle.  Within the next 48 hours I was kee-keeing, yelping, cutting, purring, you name it.

Perhaps a better analogy would be when I learned to throw a legitimate curve ball.  My dad could always break it off and I must have asked him 300,000 times to show me how when I was a kid.  He obliged and I must have attempted it 300,000 times myself before one day, the ball seemed to defy the laws of physics and it finally took that magical left turn in flight for me.  But at that moment I knew what I had done different and I could easily replicate the feat.  From there, it was just a matter of refining control.

It's no different learning to use a diaphram.  I had to stick that thing so far back in my throat is was dangerous, but when I got that first sound out of it, I could feel what produced it.  It wasn't an hour later I was making the same sound with the call pressed up behind my front teeth.  You can make every single sound a hen makes with a diaphram and you have the option of making them at different pitches and different volumes.  You'll find it easy to keep one call on your tongue while you have one of a different pitch in your cheek.  Interchange them at your discretion and never put your hand up to your face.  You can purr very quiet and subtle or you can cut and yelp like a 50 lb hen.  The latter isn't advisable, just mentioning it as an illustration of the contrast a diaphram call affords you.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 22nd, 2009, 3:51 am

I think the easiest call to learn from is a box call, the slates are easy as well AND possess the abilty to make every call you want with very little practice time.
Mouth calls can be useful in some situations, however they are harder to learn. I like to have confidence in the call I'm using so I found in the first few years that I hunted the worlds greatest game bird, the box and slate turned out to be the best choice for me.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 22nd, 2009, 11:11 am

Hmmmm,....I can't help but think to myself how confusing all of the comments made on this forum must be to the new turkey hunter!

Just in the last few posts, there have been contradicting statements made regarding mouth calls (diaphragms) and their relative ease or difficulty in learning to use.  I have no doubts that there are folks out there that have had an easy time of it, but in all honesty, I think it does a disservice to the beginning hunter to suggest that he/she should be able to pick up a mouth call and immediately start sounding like a turkey.  In my experience, it is the rare individual who can make reasonable turkey sounds without a signficant amount of time spent learning how to do so (and I have spent lots and lots of hours trying to teach people how). 

Having said that, I would like to echo some of the sentiments expressed that the beginner should:
1) choose one or more of the simpler friction calls to start with....they take much less time and skill to learn to use adequately;
2) do take the time to learn how to use a mouth call,....there are many benefits to doing so... but expect that process to most likely take a considerable amount of time and patience to accomplish.  If you approach the mouth call with an expectation of it being easy, you are probably going to get frustrated and discouraged before you learn to use one effectively;  do not expect it to be easy and do not give up when you find out it isn't!

Jim

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 1st, 2009, 7:11 am

> Whatever you get, make sure it is capable of sounding like a turkey <

Amen to that. IMO too many hunters insist on sticking with mouth calls because of the convienence when it is not the best choice for them. Diaphragm calls are easy to use and difficult to master.

A good box or slate call will produce much more accurate turkey talk that the turkeys will respond to, and you'll kill more tukeys. Just use the mouth call for subtle clucks to get the gobbler to raise his head when the time is right.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 1st, 2009, 8:04 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Amen to that. IMO too many hunters insist on sticking with mouth calls because of the convienence when it is not the best choice for them. Diaphragm calls are easy to use and difficult to master.

A good box or slate call will produce much more accurate turkey talk that the turkeys will respond to, and you'll kill more tukeys. Just use the mouth call for subtle clucks to get the gobbler to raise his head when the time is right.

Id have to disagree on that statement....

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 1st, 2009, 8:15 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

I use a diaphram because of the versatility in the sounds you can produce.  I personally think it near impossible to make proper clucks on a friction call.  ....and it's hard not to make something closer to an alarm putt when trying to cluck on a slate.  But by pursing my lips as I huff that same single note on a diaphram, it comes out with that distinctive < "poink" > sound you just can't create on a friction call.  And it's real easy to roll that proper cluck right into a soft and subtle purr.

I may be wrong, but I think kee-keeing is impossible on a friction call as well.

I would agree that beginners would be well advised to master what they can for the here and now.  You don't have to have a diaphram to talk turkey.  ....But don't give up on trying to learn, it's value cannot be understated.  ......And sooner or later, you'll find the key to making squeaky, squealing noises.  Then it'll be on and soon thereafter you'll be speaking the language in a whole new dimension.

PreviousNext

Return to Calling