what call should I use?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
hoosierhunter

RE: what call should I use?

Postby hoosierhunter » January 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm

Hey there Joe, I've been lookin for this thread for a while but I got lost in all hoopla. Well, quite honestly I've never ordered a box call from myself, but I assume it works cause I've sold a few there. Maybe I need to look it over and try to simplify the process, I may be missing sells. A lot of customers just call me at 260-409-2418, which I prefer and I take the order over the phone. That way we can discuss what they would like from the call, what wood species they like, good combinations of tone woods, style,etc. Joe, I would consider it an honor to build you a custom box call, please call soon.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF 
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

JPH

Postby JPH » January 1st, 2009, 4:32 pm

You've got mail.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » January 2nd, 2009, 6:10 am

I agree that the beginner should start with the type of calls carried by Bass Pro or Cabelas, and those that you named are great manufacturers and the highest quality people in the industry. My first box call was a Primos and I still have it today, so was my first pot call, and maybe my mouth calls too.  The stores I mentioned move a lot of product and when it comes to mouth calls, you wanta store that you can be reasonably assured has fresh calls or moves a lot of product, because once the calls begin setting around temparature fluctuations from warehouse to sales floor, humidity changes, different lighting , changes the tension on the reeds and sound quality is compromised drastically. Even the tension on the mass produced mouth calls reeds are only as good as the person who is building them that day. I for one would be comfortable buying any of the above mentioned call companys calls from the above mentioned retailers, if I were a beginner. 

I am curious though about the statement that seems to imply a custom callmaker must have killed a certain amount of turkeys before his turkeycallers will have premium sound quality. What is a few turkeys ?  What does ones skill level with wood or any of the other mediums with which custom turkeycallers are made, have to do with ones skill level as a turkeyhunter. One could be a professional in one and not the other, or a professional in both, or a novice in both, or a beginner in both. Maybe we should start an apprenticeship program for callmakers abd after 4 years in the business you can call yourself a CUSTOM TURKEY CALL MAKER, and after 8 years you can graduate to MASTER TURKEY CALL MAKER. I do understand your point TC and I've heard some turkeycallers from so called custom callmakers that was a piece of crap, many of them. The person making the purchase needs to research the callmakers reputation and his former and current customer base as well as hear what he's buying. What is important to a custom callmaker is knowing what a turkey, poult, hen, jake, or longbeard, sound like as thier age progress and the time of year changes.

As far as not being able to trust what is posted on this board..... well, thats pretty much the truth about society today in general. Trust is something that has to be earned, and one poor choice can cost you the trust that was blindly given. I have been on both ends of that one. I believe that 97% of what I read here on T&TH is truthfull and the heart felt desires of those posting. I have defended a persons right to thier opinion with my life, even though I don't agree with thier opinion. I know as a pastor that whenever someone comes to me to complain how someone else offended them, that what I'm hearing is skewed, biased, and enhanced in such a way as to make the complainig party look faultless. Most have an axe to grind, and on the forums you'll see that from time to time, but for the most part all the fellows who have been here a while are real good guys and should have no problem separating the wheat from the chaff. To the newcomer, everyone has a passion and a agenda, and so should you.

GOOD LUCK,GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF     ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

OK fellas hold on to your britches, Silvestris I agree with you, there is more junk out there than good callers. To the new turkey hunter, the big box store stuff will be good enough to get ya started, but after you start makin good turkey sounds, elevate your game and find a good custom callmaker in your area, state, or wherever, and support the little guy instead of Mr. Big Box, you'll be glad you did.

I agree with you to some extent but with the ever growing numbers of guys that kill a few turkeys and hang up a 'callmaking shingle' how do you know which to choose...

I do know you can't really trust what you hear on these boards.

As a beginner I'd stick with the big names like Quakerboy...Primos...Preston Pittman....Knight & Hale.

It will pay off in the long run. 
[/quote]

JPH

Postby JPH » January 2nd, 2009, 6:52 am

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter
One could be a professional in one and not the other, or a professional in both, or a novice in both, or a beginner in both.

Agreed. I believe Mark Drury was winning calling competitions before he killed his first turkey.

There is a LOT more to successful turkey hunting than making good turkey sounds.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 3rd, 2009, 5:52 am

Go ahead and pick you up some mouth calls...you can learn it....get you a box call and a pot and peg...slate is more forgiving...IMO...try to learn the cluck and yelp....then you can work into other turkey sounds....

...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 3rd, 2009, 10:34 am

As for you, Morgan, I don't care what you use this spring 'cepting that box you promised to send me.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 3rd, 2009, 3:39 pm

I had hoped you had forgotten about that Silvestris.....[:o]
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 3rd, 2009, 8:18 pm

You know I don't want it for it's collectors value; I ain't got enough time for fiscal appreciation.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » January 15th, 2009, 4:25 am

Well Turkeytracks, Iwas just wonderin with all the info ya got hows your desicion making goin on your spring call selection ? 

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 15th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Welcome Turkeytracks! You can't go wrong with a good box call. They are easy to use and work well in many diferent situations. Learning how to use a mouth call can be very valueable in the woods. it frees up your hands and cuts down on movment. But as you are just starting out use what you are most comfortable and confident with. Getting all nervous about your calling can cause you to make more mistakes then you will if your using something your comfortable with. Practice and enjoy your hunt. Good luck!

PreviousNext

Return to Calling