what call should I use?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
turkeydoghunter

RE: what call should I use?

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 1st, 2009, 9:50 am

tater ive used all the calls made for turkey hunting ,,,i love em all....[:@]but you are way off base to say that about friction calls ....maybe you should go to a friction calling contest , most of the time they have to kee,kee in the contest....and as far as the cluck sounding like a putt that goes for all the calls....dont get me wrong a mouth call has a big advantage when it comes to movement...but a friction call is a deadly call in the right hands as is a tube or suction yelper....[:)]...later tater

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 1st, 2009, 12:25 pm

ORIGINAL: SamuraiTater

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> Whatever you get, make sure it is capable of sounding like a turkey <

Amen to that. IMO too many hunters insist on sticking with mouth calls because of the convienence when it is not the best choice for them. Diaphragm calls are easy to use and difficult to master.

A good box or slate call will produce much more accurate turkey talk that the turkeys will respond to, and you'll kill more tukeys. Just use the mouth call for subtle clucks to get the gobbler to raise his head when the time is right.

I use a diaphram because of the versatility in the sounds you can produce.  I personally think it near impossible to make proper clucks on a friction call.  ....and it's hard not to make something closer to an alarm putt when trying to cluck on a slate.  But by pursing my lips as I huff that same single note on a diaphram, it comes out with that distinctive < "poink" > sound you just can't create on a friction call.  And it's real easy to roll that proper cluck right into a soft and subtle purr.

I may be wrong, but I think kee-keeing is impossible on a friction call as well.

I would agree that beginners would be well advised to master what they can for the here and now.  You don't have to have a diaphram to talk turkey.  ....But don't give up on trying to learn, it's value cannot be understated.  ......And sooner or later, you'll find the key to making squeaky, squealing noises.  Then it'll be on and soon thereafter you'll be speaking the language in a whole new dimension.

Most of what you have said is hogwash...no offense...

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 1st, 2009, 3:40 pm

Any glass call worth owning will Kee-Kee.IMO
canecreekcalls.com

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 1st, 2009, 5:46 pm

I'd like to hear any friction call kee as good as a air operated call. Tube, diaphragm or trumpet.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 2nd, 2009, 2:59 am

Maybe I should have clarified that-

"A good box or slate call will produce much more accurate turkey talk that the turkeys will respond to... in the hands of the average hunter."

I'm not knocking mouth calls or what they can do. I'm well aware that some of you are call makers and experts. I've used them with great results. I use them with friction calls to sound like multiple turkeys. I've been in turkey camps in several states and for every diaphragm ace there are a half dozen hunters whose mouth calling is barley adequate or at best, weak.

These same hunters routinely kill birds with friction calls. Just saying that across all regions, age groups and varied levels of experience, friction calls are more likely to produce the desired results for most hunters. Especially inexperienced hunters who are asking "What call should I use?"

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 2nd, 2009, 3:36 am

I knew what ya meant...I was just busting your chops a lil...
turkeykiller

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 2nd, 2009, 6:58 am

In the proper hands a mouthcall can be one of if not the deadliest calls one can utilize. Buy the big name instructional videos or download off of youtube, once you are making basic sounds throw them videos in the trash and only listen to real turkey sounds.

If you do not want to take the time to properly become proficient with a mouth call, at least learn to make the subtle stuff that may or may not break a hunt in the final moments.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 2nd, 2009, 2:39 pm

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

In the proper hands a mouthcall can be one of if not the deadliest calls one can utilize. Buy the big name instructional videos or download off of youtube, once you are making basic sounds throw them videos in the trash and only listen to real turkey sounds.

If you do not want to take the time to properly become proficient with a mouth call, at least learn to make the subtle stuff that may or may not break a hunt in the final moments.
i think you mean in the right mouth[:D]...as for REAL turkey sounds ....there on the home page ....Image

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » February 5th, 2009, 1:34 pm

I didn't want to start an argument.
    But as I said earlier I got some mouth calls and in the first day I could do a bad yelp.  But now I can yelp,cluck,kee-kee(kee-kee run),and purr.

Alex

NastyRack

Postby NastyRack » February 6th, 2009, 2:49 am

ImageImage

Previous

Return to Calling