Mouth call??

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
jpb

Mouth call??

Postby jpb » May 16th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Hey Guys, Im looking to get a mouth call or two.What im thinking is one of the kits with a few calls and an instructional DVD.I have a narrow palate so im thinking a smaller mouth call woud be my best bet.I want to get away from the drop the slate ,shoulder the gun,not close enough,pick slate up again trick when a bird is getting close like i had to do this season.It worked but a mouth call would work out better.Any recomendations on an off the shelf kit
Joe

mikeannikki

RE: Mouth call??

Postby mikeannikki » May 16th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Hey I have had good luck with Knigh & Hale and Primos.  Best thing is to just start picking up a few at a time and you will develop a few favorites.  Just keep trying them you can't go wrong.  The ones you don't like you can give away to your kids or the neihgborhood kids and they will think you are the best.  Good way to start a kid you never know what it will blossom into.   Good luck and don't be afraid to try them.  Mike
"Of all the things I have felt in the woods, the only thing I have never felt is old"

MAK

Postby MAK » May 21st, 2008, 5:25 am

Primos does have a few with less tape; you can trim others to fit tight to your palate. I have the same problem, and the Knight and Hales Youth's were too small for me.

Wal Mart after season close out racks are good places to buy a sampling and see what fits you the best.

Store them in the fridge or freezer, they'll keep several years. Rinse in 50/50 water and Scope, or baking soda and put toothpikes between reeds after they dry.  

multibeard

Postby multibeard » May 21st, 2008, 3:38 pm

I have been using Perfection Turkey calls for years. They were off the market for a few years but Jim clay is back making his calls. Give them a try, I prefer the Super Double D.

www.perfectionturkeycalls.com

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 22nd, 2008, 7:00 am

I have the same problem you do. And on top of that I have dentures in top. I use Hunters specailties mouth calls. I trim them up a little. Work great. There new line made with Infinity latax are real easy to use. Also. If you have a hard time with useing a mouth call. Penss Woods calls have a push pull baox call that mounts under your shotgun barrel and has a lanyard that loops onto your finger. My one buddy can't use mouth calls and got one. Works great. Good luck to you.

jpb

Postby jpb » May 23rd, 2008, 11:19 am

Thanks for the tips guy's.Im waiting for the local Dick's to have an end of season sale.If i can save even a few bucks i wont feel too bad if i destroy a call or two triming them up.I saw a N&H set with dvd,that looks promicing.They also had a few primo's individual calls in different sizes.Looks like im going to get banned to the car and garage for practice time again.
Joe

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 24th, 2008, 9:15 am

If you can, try to find one with a tape or a CD instead of the DVD.  This way, you can  call turkeys all the way to work...and all the way home.  That's what I did!

Doc

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 20th, 2008, 2:34 am

I used the the store bought mouth calls for a long time, actually until I was shown how much more succesfull my calling could be if I used a custom stretched and cut mouth call. After several years, and many conversations with these custom builders charging me $15.00 or more per call, I embarked on providing a custom mouth call for the average hunter and yet still be very affordable. This took me several years to accomplish, but today I have availible to my fellow hunters a custom stretched and custom cut mouth call that is very economically priced @ $5.25 Each or a set of three @ $14.95. As an Master call maker, the most important thing to myself is my customers satisfaction, and I guarentee that, or a full refund will be returned upon request. Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls.com or 260-409-2418.

Good Luck, God Bless, and Stay Safe!
                                                                                   L.K.Leslie 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 17th, 2008, 1:24 pm

I use primos calls for turkey and coyotes. like was said earlier , try several and just see how many variations in tone you can make. once you learn the full range that you are capable of the rest will be easy. now i must tell one on my oldest step-son. he's 35 and just got started trky hunting two seasons back. i would get after him to practice on a mouth call each time he was driving. he assured me that he was giving it his best effort.one day late last winter he was down to visit and i asked how he was coming along with the call. he said all he could get out of it was hissing and a lot of frustration. as he explained things to me i pulled out a call and put in my mouth. then he got quiet and had a strange look on his face. he asked why i put the call in my mouth backwards,,,,he spilled the beans with his question. so i couldn't help myself. I LAUGHED OUTLOUD AND FOLLOWED HIM THROUGH THE HOUSE DOING SO AS HE TRIED TO GET HIS MOTHER TO MAKE ME STOP.i may have ruined him , i don't think he has tried the call since . he has killed two birds and i got to be the one that called 'em in.       HE DOESN'T GRASP THAT HE IS MISSING THE REAL FUN.        ''OLDSCHOOLTURKEYTACTICS''

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » January 10th, 2009, 11:34 am

Can't go wrong with any of Hook's Custom Calls, check us out!!
www.hookscalls.com
God Bless
"Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"
Romans 10:13
www.hookscalls.com

Next

Return to Calling