call maintenance

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
greyghost

RE: call maintenance

Postby greyghost » January 31st, 2009, 12:43 am

Clean and wash off mouth calls and the container. Then put them in the fridge.

Clean off the old chalk from the boxes and if need be touch up the bottom of the lid with a fine sandpaper. Paste wax (lightly) the box itself once a year. (Not around the tips of the side boards though)

Trumpets clean and paste wax those once a year. run a pipe cleaner through the hole every so often.

Crow and owl locator clean (take apart) and wax those once a year. (They are wood)

Slate call just keep surface clean and try not to touch it. The wood stiker tip I keep clean by scraping (lightly) with a knife witch keeps a bite on the tip.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 31st, 2009, 5:00 am

well looks like i got some folks to do some talkin,i dont reallly ever worry about maintenance that much,i've always just used my mouth calls for the season & then replace them for the next,as far as boxes & slates i mainly just keep them dry,& thanx for the tip on the dog TC ive seen the damage they can do on favorite items layin round the house ive had boxers my entire life & they love to chew, ill definately keep an eye on tank.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 31st, 2009, 5:11 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

One thing you need to do is keep your pets away from your calls....they might swallow a diaphram or worse yet chew up a box call or trumpet call.

Dogs have real powerfull bites up in the 1000 psi of pressure...they can easily crush a box call. 

I learned that. Yogi be dead by now for all the stuff he's chewed up if he didn't hunt as good as he does.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 31st, 2009, 5:31 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

One thing you need to do is keep your pets away from your calls....they might swallow a diaphram or worse yet chew up a box call or trumpet call.

Dogs have real powerfull bites up in the 1000 psi of pressure...they can easily crush a box call. 

You got that right, Jen in less then a year has eaten a wallet and chewed up its contents, cards, money and I still have not found a couple cards. Eyeglasses, work shoes (2 pairs) actually ate a lot of the leather, bite through electrial extension cords (not plugged in) Air compressor hose (not charged) Then she just looks at you in a way saying, WHAT.[:D] 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 31st, 2009, 5:40 am

& you still feed,bath,& house the flea bag,aaaahhhh the life of a dog

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 31st, 2009, 6:06 am

My Golden Retreiver has a thing for television controlers she has chewed 4 of them up in the past year.
She is on a first name basis with cable company they seem to think it is hilarious and replace them free
of charge.
TB
GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

StevePA

Postby StevePA » January 31st, 2009, 6:32 am

My dog has gotten 4 or 5 mouth calls...several strikers...and a few other things....

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 31st, 2009, 8:16 pm

Rubbing alcohol on wooden friction calllers.  Cleans well; dries quickly.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

NastyRack

Postby NastyRack » February 6th, 2009, 2:49 am

ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 6th, 2009, 3:04 am

boy, he must have really put it to ya

PreviousNext

Return to Calling