roosting calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Fan Club

RE: roosting calls

Postby Fan Club » February 5th, 2009, 4:49 pm

> Can anyone recommend a good Owl Locator Call? <

Palmer's Hoot Tube. Affordable, readily available and works.

Like Dom, I also have a Red Hawk call. It's really shrill but I don't use it on roosted birds.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 5th, 2009, 5:51 pm

I have a HS palmers as well as a harrison Hoot n stick from Hooks. There is simply no comparison. The Harrison is by far the best twenty dollar owl call on the market and maybe the best sounding period.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 6th, 2009, 1:51 am

The key to making an afternoon roosted gobbler gobble is timing.  If you start your locator sound too early, he may very well not gobble at all that evening.  The best locator sounds are the hen fly down cackle or a barred owl.  The crow call is out as they have already gone to roost themselves at the proper time.  The Peacock and silent dog whistles are also out for obvious reasons.  A coyote howler may work in the evening, but I have no experience with one.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 6th, 2009, 2:02 am

I just listen
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 6th, 2009, 5:51 am

ok...a lot of feedback, thank you all.  My original question was just on the best Owl Locator call and the discussion quickly morphed into roosting the birds...which is something as a newbie I never considered....so it sounds like from what you all are saying , that an Owl / Crow call could also be used to get them to roost in the evening so you know where they are at and can set up there the following morning?  Fan Club and icdedturks, I'll check out both the Harrison and Palmer calls..appreciate the feedback!

Previous

Return to Calling