roosting calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
turkhunt

roosting calls

Postby turkhunt » April 26th, 2008, 11:01 am

I was wondering what kind of locator or other calls you guys use to locate turkeys for roosting.  I have tried a crow call with poor results, would it be better to use a owl call?  would loud cutting work, even just before dark? 
thanks

Fan Club

RE: roosting calls

Postby Fan Club » April 27th, 2008, 8:50 am

Crow calls seem to work better midday, for evening roosting I would stick to owl hoots or coyote howls.

Cutts would probably be a poor choice as they indicate excitement and turkeys are usually pretty calm before and during flyup. If you want to try turkey calls as an evening roosting locator, I would use a long box or boat paddle call that can really broadcast a high frequency yelp. Boat paddles are reknowned for their locating qualities and their ability to pull gobbles out of normally tight lipped birds.

Jeff

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 10:25 am

"Roosted ain't roasted"  you got that one right brother!  I heard mine this morning and they have been roosting in the same spot for 2 weeks.  I'll be putting myself to bed before they do!  Opening day tomorrow morning and I doubt that I will sleep tonight.

Mack
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Charley B

Postby Charley B » April 27th, 2008, 10:40 am

The verry high volume of a peacock call Is wicked to trigger some gobbler.  It's high sound pitch sounds like a ''MAY-OOOOOO'' 
Give It a try...
Charley

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 5th, 2009, 11:06 am

Can anyone recommend a good Owl Locator Call?  Saw a few o Cabelas and BPS, but none got rave reviews..many said it soudned more like a duck???  Thanks!

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 5th, 2009, 11:16 am

I use my natural voice to hoot with most of the time. I have a Palmers hoot tube in my vest though and the Eight Hooter or one of the call's designed like it are my two Owl calls of choice.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 5th, 2009, 11:45 am

Our birds the last few years have been extremely tight lipped upon flying up in the evening. Go an hour south easy out west easy.

In the evenings I will throw the kitchen sink at em if I truly need to roost a gobbler. Owl, crow, coyote, gobble, cackle. etc etc

In the mornings in the east I prefer not use a yote call for obvious reasons, but in the evening I let er rip and it has been probably my most consistent out of the above mentioned calls.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 5th, 2009, 1:39 pm

I love my owl hoot can.  It gets the most responses over the years.  However, my hawk screamer is coming up on its rear in the backstretch.  It yields great results and almost always suprises them into a shock gobble in my area!!!!
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 5th, 2009, 1:40 pm

If all else fails, never forget to hit the car horn or buy yourself one of the portable air horns they use at sporting events!!!![;)][:D][:D][;)][:D][&:]
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 5th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I use light but aggressive calling at roost sites...Call em in ..watch em fly up...Be there early next day.....
turkeykiller

Next

Return to Calling