diffrent calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
DeanoZ

RE: diffrent calls

Postby DeanoZ » February 5th, 2009, 5:46 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

DeanoZ....I was on a hunting forum a couple years back. They had a turkey hunting contest (something I normally don't partake in.)

One of the guys I was teamed up with emailed me and told me he had never killed a turkey..I told him not to fret. If he listened to me it would be a piece of cake.

Since he was unskilled with a turkey call my sugestion to him was to get a slate or box caller that 'he thought' he could make a passable yelp on. He said he thought he had that covered.

My intructions to him were pretty much straight from M.L.Lynch with a few additions.

Get a short portable blind.
Learn to hoot like an owl...locate a gobbling turkey.

Get with'n 100 yards of the turkey on the roost (if he could without getting spotted).
Get set up as they call it...take off his watch and lay it on the ground where he could see it.
I told him not to call untill he was sure the gobbler was on the ground.
After he was sure the gobbler was on the ground give him three snappy yelps....and check the time on his watch.

I advised him not to call for 10 minutes...no matter if the gobbler gobbled his head off or said nothing...

Then 10 minutes later give him 3 more snappy yelps....repeat as nessesary evey 10 minutes.

Later he Pm'd me that he had printed off what I had told him and read it over and over till he had it memorized...needless to say he killed two really nice gobblers and we went on to win the contest.

Lot's of times I try and remember the advice I gave him because it still works as good today....no matter how good a turkey caller one thinks they are. [:D]

TurkeyCommander, thank you...I'm going to commit this to memory and start with that...I have the short portable blind and the box call already (From Lynch as it would so happen, but I plan to try a mouth call if i I can make it sound good enough).  I'm working on getting the owl and crow calls and practicing with those.  Then I'll follow your script to the "T" and see what happens.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 5th, 2009, 5:47 am

You can't beat the old scouting rule.  Since I've scouted turkey's more in the last ten years and located spring roosts in my area I've had much more success.  I will pinpoint flydown points, trail tendencies, feeding areas, and break up points from one month till season start usually with binocs and busting shoe leather.  That way I can silently get in, set up, and not make a sound at season opener.  Nine times out of ten I may not even have to use a call.  I try to make as little noise as possible before daybreak and if the sun starts to show and there is no sign of a bird or they are taking another direction, then I'll start my calling.  To each his own I guess.  However, things change if I'm not able to pinpoint their roost or pattern the birds on a property I havn't scouted or don't know where they rest their heads.  Then I will fall to the techniques described already very well by Gobblerman, Fanclub, and silvestris.  They have also worked for me if your the run and gun type.  I tend to hunt one or two properties at season open, so I watch my birds close and know practically every move they make at any given time, but when I go to another county to hunt every once in awhile with a budyy or as you know they are not entirely predictable, I'll fall to a different style as described very well by the other posters.  I can't tell you how much too much calling and variety calling has got me in trouble in years past and will actually turn a big weary bird the other way.  Sometimes ruining the hunt for the day or in many cases the rest of the season if the bird associates danger with a situation or setting and disrupts a pattern in his tendencies.  You may find out that the bird flat out will shut down and not be vocal the rest of the season. Just stuff I experienced when I was a kid.  As my father told me every time we went out, Keep it at a minimum and only get agressive when aggressiveness is returned. 
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 5th, 2009, 6:57 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

You can't beat the old scouting rule.  Since I've scouted turkey's more in the last ten years and located spring roosts in my area I've had much more success.  I will pinpoint flydown points, trail tendencies, feeding areas, and break up points from one month till season start usually with binocs and busting shoe leather.  That way I can silently get in, set up, and not make a sound at season opener.  Nine times out of ten I may not even have to use a call.  I try to make as little noise as possible before daybreak and if the sun starts to show and there is no sign of a bird or they are taking another direction, then I'll start my calling...

Thanks dmcianfa...this actually touches upon another question i had (sorry all bear with me).  My plan for scouting was to get out and starting with streams, look for signs (Turkey prints, scratchings, roosted birds) in the vicinity.  With regards to looking for roosted Toms does that mean I would only see them in the early morning/evening?  Do I only use the owl/crow/locator calls during this time frame?

dmcianfa, what you say makes perfect sense...I'd rather have an idea of where they are roosting before I get in the woods to hunt that morning....I know some folks like to drive/walk  around at first light the morning they are hunting and use their locator calls to find a spot to set up in..but I'm in the Northeast and hunt dense hardwoods..not so sure I want to be tramping around in the thick stuff trying to find a sutiable tree to set up against...or is noise not an issue?

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: different calls

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 5th, 2009, 7:27 am

DeanoZ you can do all of the pre-season scouting you like to see if birds are in your area and the places they like to hang out and loaf in the heat of the day places they tend to roost so on and so forth. As far as scouting for a hunt about all you can do is try and roost some birds the evening before your hunt. As long as nothing spooks them off of there roost during the night they should be in the morning. If you have a idea of where they like to go from that roost area you can make your game plan and go from there. The other option is to find a good place to listen from and be there before daylight and listen for one to sound off and beat feet in his general direction and let the games begin. May I suggest getting Ray Eye's book Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies its full of good information to get you started.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 5th, 2009, 8:07 am

ORIGINAL: DeanoZ

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

You can't beat the old scouting rule.  Since I've scouted turkey's more in the last ten years and located spring roosts in my area I've had much more success.  I will pinpoint flydown points, trail tendencies, feeding areas, and break up points from one month till season start usually with binocs and busting shoe leather.  That way I can silently get in, set up, and not make a sound at season opener.  Nine times out of ten I may not even have to use a call.  I try to make as little noise as possible before daybreak and if the sun starts to show and there is no sign of a bird or they are taking another direction, then I'll start my calling...

Thanks dmcianfa...this actually touches upon another question i had (sorry all bear with me).  My plan for scouting was to get out and starting with streams, look for signs (Turkey prints, scratchings, roosted birds) in the vicinity.  With regards to looking for roosted Toms does that mean I would only see them in the early morning/evening?  Do I only use the owl/crow/locator calls during this time frame?

dmcianfa, what you say makes perfect sense...I'd rather have an idea of where they are roosting before I get in the woods to hunt that morning....I know some folks like to drive/walk  around at first light the morning they are hunting and use their locator calls to find a spot to set up in..but I'm in the Northeast and hunt dense hardwoods..not so sure I want to be tramping around in the thick stuff trying to find a sutiable tree to set up against...or is noise not an issue?

DeanoZ,

Ozarks is on the money here.  I will scout before the season starts maybe once a week for four weeks.  In that time I will usually drive to the property you intend to hunt awhile before light and listen very intently for gobbles that are induced from the natural owl hoots, crows, woodpeckers, or hawks.  If I don't hear a gobble from these I may bring out the hoot call and give it a whirl.  When and if I get a gobble from it, I will generally stop calling there and try to pinpoint where the gobble came from with maybe some aerials or topo maps adn mark them.  I'll leave it at that for that day adn come back next week even earlier and hoof it in to the spot, but not be too intrusive or loud until I think I am about 100 or 200 yds from where I think they may be or I heard the gobble.  I will listen again for gobbles as a result of natural sounds and repeat, but I never yelp, cut, cluck, or anything like that at them.  Most of the time if you sit and listen you will hear them on their roost if your close enough start to cluck and stretch their wings. Once I pinpoint the grove of trees or exact tree they are most likely in I mark my spot in my gps or flag it if you don't have one when they leave.  You can also do this towards evening if you see birds during the lattter part of the day.  Pattern them the rest of the day and eye them without being seen, you should be able to get a good idea on where they are roosting from there too if your coming up on dusk.  Granted this may take alot of time out of ones day and a whole lotta patience, but if you don't have much huntin' time to get your turkey like some states (5-7 days) it can pay off huge to know exactly where they are roosting.  The trick is to be as least intrusive as possible and not be seen nor heard.  Tough, I know, but you may get the hang of it.  I do more listening than anything.  After you get good at knowing the property you will naturally walk it and know what trees turkeys like to roost in.  For me, it tends to be tall jack, red, or white pines.  They love to roost in em as they are tall and have excellent roosting limbs and you will see branches on the limbs broke off that they hit on fly downs and what not.  From there I may mimic a hunt on the last weekend before the season and setup in my spot and watch them and where they fly down exactly, feed, scratch, dust bathe, travel, etc......  If you know their patterns from the start of the day until the end you've already won half the battle in my opinion.  If you can pattern them, you can hunt one property and go to another during the middle of the day if you know they are dust bathing for instance.  I see alot of toms sunning in the middle of the day and will follow them from there with binocs and a bit of walking, so I wouldn't say I only see them in the morning or evening.  Also, I never use more than a locater call before the season starts and I really never even use my hawk or crow call either as it is too sharp and I like to use those for more of a shock gobble during the season if they aren't responding. Just soft owl hoots I would say.  Once I get a response, I cease calling altogether.  I try not to educate them to much with my locaters before the season starts.  It's more of a recon mission than anything.  Glass, observe, stay out of harms way, move only when they are out of view.  That sort of thing.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 5th, 2009, 9:48 am

Ozarks/dmcianfa,

thank you again for the feedback.  So in essense my preseason scouting should include searching the area for sign...but no turkey calls (with the exception of locator calls) and doing a lot of listening in the predawn hours.  Hone in on the spots whee I heard them and then set up there for the hunt!

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 5th, 2009, 10:21 am

Aahhhhh,...it appears you follow directions well, Glasshoppa! Image  I envision great success in your future!

Jim

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 5th, 2009, 10:43 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman

Aahhhhh,...it appears you follow directions well, Glasshoppa! Image  I envision great success in your future!

Jim

Thanks but I credit that largely in part to the kindness and willingness of all the pros here to help!  when this thread is done, I would recommend the administrator make it a "sticky" so all the other Newbies can benefit from it.  thanks again Jim...stick around I know I've got a few more ??? left in me, lol [:D]

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 5th, 2009, 11:44 am

DeanoZ, I am gonna get accused of being mean spirited for saying this but is is said with the best intentions.

Turkey prints are those paper things with images of turkeys on them.  Turkey tracks are those visual things that you find on a sandbar.  You are not the first to call them prints.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 5th, 2009, 11:46 am

Footprints?

PreviousNext

Return to Calling