diffrent calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
silvestris

RE: diffrent calls

Postby silvestris » February 4th, 2009, 4:52 am

A good general rule is to call once, softly.  He then knows where you are whether he answers you or not.  He will not forget where you are no matter how long he stays in the tree, but he will usually begin to worry when he does not hear you again and he is likely to land in your lap when he decides to leave the limb.  If he does not land in your lap, you should call immediately to steer him in your direction.  Following that, his personality will determine your next decision and that is something that you learn more by feel and experience.  You will frequently do everything right and yet still fail to call the turkey.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 4th, 2009, 5:42 am

Thanks Silvestris...makes sense, let him know your there once and then shut it and appeal to his curiosity.  Fan Club, thanks again for your amplifying remarks, I take no offense to anyones comments or sarcasm...I understand that many here have been hunting a long time and paid their dues...most without the benefit of a forum like this when they got started.  So its only natural they feel its important that i learn through trial and error and i don't neccessarily disagree...but as you so perfectly pointed out I'm new and have no baseline so udnerstanding the basics before I get in the woods helps to put it all in perspective...thansk again all for being so supportive!

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: different calls

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 4th, 2009, 6:21 am

DeanoZ sorry so long getting back to you.
 In my original post I said ,I would suggest you start off simple and soft once you know the bird is on the ground. I try not to call too much when the bird is on the roost it been my experience it kind of hangs them up there waiting for the hen to walk to the base of his roost tree.

I would agree with Fan that 3 to 4 soft yelps are what your looking for to start with. Then you just have to gage him by the way he reacts to your calling. I was taught by the old school rule 3 or 4 yelp wait ten minutes 3 or 4 yelp wait ten minutes. There is nothing set in stone that I know of when calling turkeys. A loud mouth hen may steal your Gobbler way while your waiting for your ten minutes to expire so you can make your next series of 3 or 4 yelps.

Gobblerman and Fan Club both are better at putting this stuff on paper than I, they both have given you great places to start. Its hard to tell you what you need to to do because every situation will be different every bird is different even the same bird may ignore your calls at day brake and then turn around and run you over a hour from now just by scratching in the leaves. To me thats what makes it so much fun, I know a guy that went out on his first turkey hunt plopped down by a tree made a few calls that sounded a lot like some one scratching on the side of a tin can a bird flew down too him his shot it and was back at the house before the sun was above the trees. He said there was nothing to killing turkeys and never went again. I tell you that because sometimes it happens that easy but most of the times you will walk out of the woods kicking rocks. Don't get discouraged if you don't have success on your first hunt or even your first season. This turkey hunting to me is a learning curve and there are no experts well other than maybe the turkeys there pretty good at this game we play.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 4th, 2009, 6:28 am

DeanoZ that first line of my reply post sounds kind of hateful to me now that I read it. It wasn't meant to be. I don't know how to use the quote feature that other posters use. Sorry if it came across wrong, like I said I am not very good at putting this stuff on paper.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 4th, 2009, 7:54 am

Thanks Ozarks, and no worries your post did not come across as sounding hateful or otherwise...was good advice and I appreciate that.  Enjoyed the story about the guy who popped one on his first hunt, lol.  While I am a novice when it comes to Turkey hunting, I realize they are tough to hunt and his experience while lucky is not charachteristic of a typical hunt.  For me, a successful hunt will take place if I can at least locate/hear a turkey...if I get to call one in and take a shot at one so much the better!  Thanks again Ozarks.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 4th, 2009, 8:02 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

A good general rule is to call once, softly.  He then knows where you are whether he answers you or not.  He will not forget where you are no matter how long he stays in the tree, but he will usually begin to worry when he does not hear you again and he is likely to land in your lap when he decides to leave the limb.  If he does not land in your lap, you should call immediately to steer him in your direction.  Following that, his personality will determine your next decision and that is something that you learn more by feel and experience.  You will frequently do everything right and yet still fail to call the turkey.

Well said, short, sweet and to the point.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 4th, 2009, 8:20 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

> I know this is a simple one-line answer with little typing...<

It is, but the sarcasm is minimal so I can live with that.

> Turkey calling can't be taught with a typewriter...<

I beg to differ. That's good advice and DeanoZ should get some turkey recordings. But there is no subtitute for time in the woods and seeing and listening to real turkeys. Hearing how they interact with each other in different situations is even better than a tape or CD.

Therein lies the problem. Sir Deano has no experience and in the spirit of a forum, Jim and I are willing to share some of what we have learned, unlike select others.  The teaching here does involve a keyboard and the lad needs a baseline to start with. Most of the members on this forum are here to share information and experiences, not invalidate and discount what others have posted. The last part is a shame.

Good grief Fan, read your last three (3) sentences. Practice what you preach.

"That's some quality information, Jim. Most folks on this board won't take the time to type that much, they'll just come back with a sarcastic one line response challenging something that was stated."

Just like you did here in the above quote.

Forget what others say and put your information out there. Everyones input here in this thread was good and then you started with your little childish one liners about others.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 4th, 2009, 12:47 pm

It ain't rocket science.  Do your best to sound like a real turkey and don't call more than is necessary.  Some people who can make really good turkey sounds are too proud of the fact and just have to call and call and call and etc.  It is all in Mcilhenny's book.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 4th, 2009, 1:02 pm

No need for you to get involved, Ghost. Silvestris and I have enjoyed back and forth banter since the inception of this forum, going back two software programs ago.

The dog pack that arrived last fall seems to lead the league in infighting so maybe we all should practice what we preach.

I'll make the effort and you should too.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 4th, 2009, 2:14 pm

I run a call right up until I squeeze a round off......Old school tactics may work but Im into writing my own chapters for my own books....
turkeykiller

PreviousNext

Return to Calling