diffrent calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
gforrestersmith

diffrent calls

Postby gforrestersmith » December 15th, 2008, 4:24 pm

what kind of diffrent calls do you use while you turkey hunt?

Gobblerman

RE: diffrent calls

Postby Gobblerman » December 15th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Gforrestersmith, another good question.  Right now I can't answer....I'm an old guy and it's late and I have to go to bed...but we'll be helping you out later.  I did mention a few calls under your question about "the chances" under the "strategies" heading.  Take a look there for now.
Jim 

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » December 16th, 2008, 4:34 am

For beginners like myself, I've had the most success with a simple box call. It's ready to use right away and with a few minutes practice you can make decent sounds. I bought a package from H.S. Strut that had a box call, pot call, 2 diaphram calls and a crow call. The pot is a glass call and requires a little prep and practice to find the "sweet spot". Mouth calls are the hardest and is going to take me all winter to get the hang of. I suggest buying a DVD so you have actual turkey sound to mimic.
    Welcome to the forum!
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 16th, 2008, 12:20 pm

good evening MR SMITH
 i just read your questions(chances and calls) and all the replies you received. young man i wish i had received that advice when i first started turkey hunting.
remember sir, that you have your whole life to enjoy turkey hunting. with your young eyes and ears you have an advantage over a lot of us older hunters.
you keep asking the questions and we will give you all we can to to help you . BUT IT'S UP TO YOU HOW YOU USE THIS ADVICE .

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 16th, 2008, 1:39 pm

Ahhhh, yes....if only us older guys would have had someone to direct us in the ways of the wiley gobbler, Gforrester!  Stay with us here and you will learn much about turkey hunting, although the many opinions you will receive will very likely confuse you some.  In time, you will be able to sort through them and make sense of what is to be said. 

Regarding your question on calls.  The first thing to know is that there are many, many turkey calls available that make good turkey sounds.  The easiest to use, to me, are the "push-button" or "push-pin" calls (same thing), the "box" calls, and the "pot and peg" or "slate calls", as they are generally called. These are all calls that make turkey sounds by rubbing one piece of wood, plexiglass, stone, plastic (or other kinds of materials) against another one.  I would advise you to start out with one or more of these types of calls.  You can find them pretty much at any good-sized sporting goods store that sells hunting stuff.  These same stores will most likely sell video or audio tapes on turkey hunting and how to make the various sounds that turkeys make.  You should get at least one of those to help you get started, too. 

Learn the basics with the calls first.  The basic sounds that turkeys make are the "yelp" and the "cluck" and you should concentrate on learning how to make those sounds first.  Fortunately, both of those sounds are very easy to make with a little bit of practice on any of the calls mentioned above.  Another good thing is that most turkeys that can be called in will come to a hunter that is skilled at knowing how and when to use those two basic calls.

There are other kinds of turkeys calls, as well as other sounds that turkeys make that you can use to call them, but I will let some of the others here give you their opinions about these things, too.  I don't want to get too long-winded right off the bat. ....But we'll talk more about turkey calling soon.

Jim

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 16th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Here is a site that you can hear the different calls and it also has a description of the call and what it means or how turkeys use it. Its at the NWTF site and there is a lot of other good info there as well.

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/sounds_of_turkeys.html

But I too think a good instructional CD or DVD will help you learn better.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 2nd, 2009, 12:09 pm

Thank you for the post of the different turkey calls, now i have a sense of what you all mean when you talk about yelps, clucks, cutting, etc.  For spring, what turkey sounds and combinations should I be using.  Best as I can figure once you've set up in the morning and located a roosting bird you woudl want to start with a Cackle down call to get him off the roost, and then perhaps a series of cuts (clucks and yelps) to lure him within range?  Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 2nd, 2009, 2:30 pm

I anticipate that you will get a variety of recommendations on your question, DeanoZ.  Here are my suggestions, based on my personal experience only:
1) I believe it is always best to start out conservatively with your calling.  Using basic yelps and clucks (and in combination with other natural turkey sounds--wing-noise imitations, ground-scratching imitations) is generally a wise decision in most situations.  In early morning "roosted gobbler" situations, it is important not to get too carried away with your calling, and often a single series of three or four "tree yelps" is all you want to offer up to a bird.  Yes, turkeys "cackle" when they fly down sometimes, but in many cases, they do not.  It is a difficult call for the average turkey caller to do well, and it can easily raise an old wary gobbler's suspicions if done poorly or in the wrong circumstances.  The "tree call" is a much safer bet. In any event, calling too much to a roosted gobbler is rarely a wise move.
2) Once a gobbler is on the ground, you have a wider variety of calls that you might use, with yelping, clucking, and cutting being included in that selection.  A basic axiom in turkey calling is that you can't take back a call once you have delivered it....therefore it is often best to call conservatively at first and then work towards more aggressive calling.  When a gobbler hits the ground from his roost, the best initial calling choice is often just another series of yelps (wings, scratching, per above).  I usually reserve the use of cutting, which to me is a more aggressive call, until after I am convinced a gobbler is not going to come to conservative calling...yelps, clucks, maybe some purring.  Cutting--- quick, randomly-spaced clucking---and yelp/cutt combinations can be deadly and I like to use those calls, but they must be used with discretion.
My basic suggestion is always start conservatively and then work towards more aggressive stuff, depending on how a bird responds.

Jim

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » February 3rd, 2009, 4:36 am

Jim,

thanks for your informative response and advice which I will wisely heed.  I suspected that "less is more" would be the protocol for Turkey calling so I will keep to the basics and stick with some basic yelping at first...if that does not work I'll try my hand at clucking and as a last resort some cutting.  Now I guess the big question would be is how much calling is enough...I know it will vary based on the situation so let me throw out two scenarios:

1.  I start off with some locating calls...I locate a bird and setup.  I wait for daylight..I see nothing roosted in the trees but knwo he is close by...as daylight breaks and goes on still nothing...do I perform a series of yelps..and if so how many is a series and how long and often should I continue calling?

2.  Same as above but a gobbler flies down and I have eyes on him.  as sson as he flies down I thorw out a series of yelps (again, need to know how many?)  No response the gobbler keeps doing his thing...so now do i try some clucking?  If so how much calling?  Then if he still does not respond after that should I throw in some cutting?  If he responds and staets coming towards me do i stop calling all together, and only throw out a call if he stops and still is not within range?

I guess what I'm looking for is for someone to quantify how much calling is enough?

Thanks!

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: different calls

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 3rd, 2009, 5:19 am

I would suggest you start off simple and soft once you know the bird is on the ground. I try not to call too much when the bird is on the roost it been my experience it kind of hangs them up there waiting for the hen to walk to the base of his roost tree. Once you think he is on the ground give a few soft yelp or a cluck and purr if he responds quickly or cuts off your call get your gun up and ready you may have too shoot him in self defense. If you get no response you mite crank up the volume of your yelps a little in case he did not hear you the fist time. From there if you get no response you can start digging in your bag of tricks and see if you can find something he likes. This whole thing is trial and error you just have to test the bird to see how hot he is. It is better to start out soft and slow and crank it up from there if need be.

Next

Return to Calling