Mouth call cuts....

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
trkyklr

RE: Mouth call cuts....

Postby trkyklr » February 10th, 2009, 2:10 am

wheres the next show steve?me likes the hotties

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 2:21 am

ORIGINAL: rsmithpa

I am a V cut person myself but in all of this conversation, its about marketing and have you noticed that some mouth calls are now up to 10 dollars. I am not sure where it will end, but as long as there is a market and people will pay, based on who made the call and what contest they won and so on.

I personally love the ten dollar calls...They bring me more customers..lol
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 2:28 am

These are the three basic cuts I use...

These are from last year...Im using more colored latex this year instead of the white..
turkeykiller

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 10th, 2009, 7:49 am

Steve, If you add the hot chicks I think you could $15.00 a call. Try it! I am sure someone will believe the chicks will make the difference in their calling ability.  Those are nice calls you posted and I like all those cuts.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 11:35 am

I think with the economy in Turmoil , prices may drop or you will at least see specail sales..This may cause Havoc with price wars and create Mayhem among companies...Only time will tell and the Xtreme Kee to the situation will be market them cheaply and wisely...
turkeykiller

Yelp softly

Postby Yelp softly » February 10th, 2009, 6:01 pm

I don't necessarily agree with your market them cheaply assessment.  Wisely, Yes!  If folks wanted cheap turkey calls they'll just buy the HS strut from Wally World.  There will be a certain market for the high end calls and the successful guys will find the right balance between price and top-end call reputation.  Drop your prices too low and risk being viewed as a cheap-o call produced in bulk.

Back to the original question about cuts.  I personally use the Woodhaven calls and I believe that the latex thickness is just as important as the cut.  As an example, I bought a Hotwings pack last year.  It was a set of 3 calls all with identical batwing cuts.  The difference is in reed thickness.  The thinner the reeds, the easier the call is to blow and softer yelps can be made.  The thicker latex stands up well to the sharp cutts and makes crisp cackles.

Can you have too many?  NOT IF THEY WORK!  If you only make 3 kinds, some hunter might just buy his 4th from somebody else.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 8:57 pm

ORIGINAL: Yelp softly

I don't necessarily agree with your market them cheaply assessment.  Wisely, Yes!  If folks wanted cheap turkey calls they'll just buy the HS strut from Wally World.  There will be a certain market for the high end calls and the successful guys will find the right balance between price and top-end call reputation.  Drop your prices too low and risk being viewed as a cheap-o call produced in bulk.

Back to the original question about cuts.  I personally use the Woodhaven calls and I believe that the latex thickness is just as important as the cut.  As an example, I bought a Hotwings pack last year.  It was a set of 3 calls all with identical batwing cuts.  The difference is in reed thickness.  The thinner the reeds, the easier the call is to blow and softer yelps can be made.  The thicker latex stands up well to the sharp cutts and makes crisp cackles.

Can you have too many?  NOT IF THEY WORK!  If you only make 3 kinds, some hunter might just buy his 4th from somebody else.

Id rather he do that....then load the market with another call that is not really needed...
turkeykiller

shootingsports

Postby shootingsports » February 11th, 2009, 4:04 am

Hunters,

In knowing differnt companies that make mouth calls, the reason they keep coming out with a different style mouth call each year is to have something to sale to all the young turkey hunters today.  The company pro staff finds a call that works great for them in competion and figure it will be hunter friendly for sucess.  If you have been calling by mouth for along time, you found in research mouth calls are trial and error to find the coreect dilect tone that you can play smoothly & correctly without much pressure, for begineer hunters they are still wonder if the new mouth call works better then the one they have in there bag at this time to be sucess, since someone else has been sucessful. I find once I am statisfied with the calls that hits all dilect notes and best fits my mouth I stick with the call from year to year.  I have been calling with a mouth call for the last 26 years and find its is a tool for the hunt but not the main tool for sucess always.  The problem with mouth calls users today is they have not learned the correct method of use.  I recommend to begineer hunters that have been hunting for the last 4 year to stick more with a box call at first and soft calling once the gobbler has commited to your call and to get in the field during off seaon and listen to hens to learn the  differnet dilect for the mood they are in that minute, but one thing I will share that most hunters that learn the secret to success with a mouth call that does not share is that all hens first 2 notes is always the same for the area which your hunting, learn and you will be more sucessful if fooling that old gobbler.  For my presonal use I found I have more success with a competion call like Wood Haven Stinger Pro Series Copperhead series than other brands that you can pick up at any store.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 11th, 2009, 5:15 am

Some of what you said is correct...other is kinda bull but thats beside the point...Its a buyer beware market out there..Every turkey sound can be duplicated on just 2 cuts and there is not really a need for fads..
turkeykiller

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 11th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Steve, just wanted to say that I got out the callers I bought from you last year and they still sing, well.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

PreviousNext

Return to Calling