Mouth call cuts....

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
StevePA

Mouth call cuts....

Postby StevePA » February 9th, 2009, 2:54 pm

When is enough....enough...when it comes to cuts on a mouth call?..Seems there lots of "goofy" cuts coming out today..
turkeykiller

icdedturkes

RE: Mouth call cuts....

Postby icdedturkes » February 9th, 2009, 3:39 pm

I must agree with ya Steve, goofy cuts and colored latex sell. Not saying some colored latex isnt good, but it sells. most of the newer cuts simply feed back end calling.

I carry two calls a ghost cut and a "shipp wreck cut" inverted combo cut or whatever you want to call it. I truly think on these two calls I can get 6 different distinct hens yelps dont need anymore.

In all honesty, if I didnt get excited while calling, I would blow a ghost exclusively. Just get excited and tend to over blow it while cutting or flying down.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 9th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Excellent topic for discussion, Steve.  Being a mouth call user from way back, I have witnessed the progression of the development of these calls firsthand.  It seems in just the last few years, there are so many new variations of cuts, it'll make an avid mouth-call users head spin.  I have given up trying to keep up with all of the new fads, and hence, I don't know whether I'm missing out on a new design that really is easier to use and makes more realistic turkey sounds, or if all these new cuts are just gimmicks to make us gullible turkey hunters buy more calls.

Oh, yeah, I've tried a number of the newer designs....the ghost cuts, the bat cuts, the modified cutters, et.al.....but I always seem to go back to the center V-cut design in it's various forms, or the standard cutter designs.  Although I have done a little bit of experimenting in making mouth calls...got one of those little rinky-dink kits a few years ago....I still get most of my calls either off the shelf or from an acquaintance that makes calls.

The bottom line is that I would be interested to know what you mouth call makers on here think about the various cuts and which you recommend for the various turkey sounds.  Do you really think that some of these newer cuts are superior to the old reliable V-cut and cutter designs, and if so, which would you recommend to both the experienced mouth call user and the beginner?

Jim

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » February 9th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I second that!  I honestly couldn't tell you what each cut is designed to do.  So all you custom call guys...time to show off [;)].  A few weeks ago, I made an impulse buy at a sportsman's show and bought a mouthcall (tripple reed, inverted (?) V, ect.  It sounded....ok.  while clearing out my vest this afternoon, I found a call from last year I thought I lost.  It was a double reed V cut, a year old, sitting in a 55 degree basement all winter, in front of a de-humidifier all summer...and it STILL sounded better!!!  What effect does thisckness of the reed have on sound?  The olf call is thin, while that new one seems to be thicker.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 9th, 2009, 6:28 pm

IMO colored latex because of different textures sounds different and is easier to work with..Dont know the science behind it but can tell from cutting it...Its different and cuts better...hence a different call perhaps...and a more consistent one..I use several different colors and thickness' and can put them beside the same in standard white and the difference in texture is evident...almost like using different woods for pots...

As far as thickness' go...You can tell its me calling by rhythm but the overall tonal quality is different...Thin latex is "young" sounding...and as you go with thicker stuff then the sound becomes "older"...Air flow plays a part also...

Cut wise...V cut..Split V cutter...Ghost cut is all I use...V cuts are raspy back end yelps...Great clucks..cutts...etc..Kees are terrible,,,,
Split V cutter...Probably the best all around cut IMO to produce all sounds in the avg guys mouth,,,,,....When learned to use above avg the ghost cut shines because of the kee's....It can be a tough one though...
turkeykiller

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 9th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Building on what Steve said, I truly believe that a good ghost is a great call to learn to yelp on. The front end is easy to find and this is the most difficult part of the yelp for 99 percent of people. A Ghost also is an excellent call for small talk: whits, whines clucks and purrs.

V Cut: As steve said alot of back end, but the narrower the cut the more front end the call will have.

Inverted V: Versatile as all get out, yelps good blowing the whole call, but can also work each side for different pitches. Some can kee kee the daylights outta this call.

Cutter, cant blow one to save my life

Batwing: Cant Understand the fad

I personally am a fan of proph under reeds some hate it some love it. Some guys prefer heavy latex calls, for me I have to stretch the heck outta it to find the sounds that I desire. I personally do not like a top reed over .004.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 9th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Ok. I gotta jump in on this!  I have only been useing mouth calls for the last couple of years. I even bought a cd with real turkey calls on it to play in my truck so I can practice as much as possible. Hardets thing for me to get used to was useing a mouth call with my dentures in. I have a top plate and when I first started to try a mouth call I could'nt get it to stay in right. So I got used to it without my dentures then with them in. My problem is there are so many of these calls out there with as you have all pointed out many differant styles. So far the easiest for me to use is H.S. Strut mouth calls with infinity latex. Ant suggestions on some good mouth calls that are easy to use and keep a good sound to them?

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 10th, 2009, 1:31 am

I am a V cut person myself but in all of this conversation, its about marketing and have you noticed that some mouth calls are now up to 10 dollars. I am not sure where it will end, but as long as there is a market and people will pay, based on who made the call and what contest they won and so on.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 10th, 2009, 1:51 am

ORIGINAL: rsmithpa

I am a V cut person myself but in all of this conversation, its about marketing and have you noticed that some mouth calls are now up to 10 dollars. I am not sure where it will end, but as long as there is a market and people will pay, based on who made the call and what contest they won and so on.

I agree and the word fad has show up twice in the posts.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 1:57 am

ORIGINAL: rsmithpa

Thats the new age gimmicks for these types of calls...Ive been thinkin' bout getting me a stable of really hot chicks to start using my calls...I bet the lines at my booth would be long....lol
turkeykiller

Next

Return to Calling