Walnut Box Call ?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Sooner44

Walnut Box Call ?

Postby Sooner44 » May 17th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Anyone have any experience with a Walnut box call ?

I thought I'd make one and see how it works, Walnut make a nice looking call, now if it just sounds good [:-]

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/GunDog44/walnut.jpg

Steve_In

RE: Walnut Box Call ?

Postby Steve_In » May 17th, 2008, 4:37 pm

I have 2 all walnut calls.  Both sound good to me.  Your call looks good.  I finished a walnut stock by first staining with Birchwood Casey walnot stain until dark.  I sanded it down leaving the pores darker than the surrounding wood.  Then finished it with Linspeed.  The contrast really makes the plain grain look great.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Sooner44

Postby Sooner44 » May 19th, 2008, 3:16 pm

After assembling the call and testing, it really sounds great !

This one will be in my vest on the next hunt !

PATKYHTR

Postby PATKYHTR » May 27th, 2008, 8:18 am

Great looking box call Sooner! In my opinion, walnut is the best sounding wood for a boxcall. The raspy tone it generates sounds the most realistic. Again just my opinion. It also makes for a good looking call!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 28th, 2008, 3:31 pm

Hey Carl,

That is a beautiful call. To me, there's very little that looks as good as walnut. We have a lot of walnut trees on our place. I have some wood "curing" that I'll do something with at some time. I've never made a call, other than one from a turtle shell one time but I may have to give it a try, after seeing the beautiful work that you've done.

I also have some butternut, pecan, cedar and few other pieces of wood that are drying nicely. Some of that will have to be used in a "winter project" one of these days.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Sooner44

Postby Sooner44 » May 29th, 2008, 3:48 pm

Clark,

Thanks for the kind words !!

Compared to most calls I see around these boards, my calls are pretty "plain" but really sound nice. I enjoy making these calls and plan on making it a third hobby, behind hunting &  fishing [;)] (Work don't count) !!

I have thrown away about 6 calls that just didn't work well, gave away another 4 or 5, and just now got a pattern down that sounds great. I guess after my  work bench fills up with calls, I'll start giving them away to make room for more [8|]

Have a great day !!

Sooner

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » June 1st, 2008, 5:36 am

Nice lookin' work! You should be proud of your accomplishment. When you have one that works exceptionally well, pay close attention to the wood grain, the thickness of your sound boards and the grain of the striker or paddle.Also repeat the cavity dimensions exactly.Being able to repeat these things from one call to another is the secret. Walnut is extremely repeatable. Once you get that figured out try cedar or butternut for the puuurrrfect hen vocalizations. Red Cedar with no white in it though. By the way, if your interested, I'm a Callmaker ( Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls.com ) and a collector and would like to have one of your calls. Please contact through website if your interested. Once again,good lookin' box call.
[hr]
  GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS AND STAY SAFE
L.K.LESLIE

Sooner44

Postby Sooner44 » June 5th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Hoosier !

Maybe we can work a trade ?? I'll contact you regarding the call

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » February 14th, 2009, 6:53 am

ORIGINAL: Sooner44

Anyone have any experience with a Walnut box call ?

I thought I'd make one and see how it works, Walnut make a nice looking call, now if it just sounds good [:-]

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/GunDog44/walnut.jpg

Nice looking box.  Walnut sure is pretty.

I've been carrying a Rohm Brothers all walnut box in my vest for years, and I can't count how many turkeys that little box has struck.  Only time it stays in the truck is when its raining.  Something about walnut, and there's something about cedar in long boxes too.

John
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 17th, 2009, 4:28 am

I have a small Rohm Bros Walnut box call from like 1992 or 93...One side is broken off....Sure wish I could get it fixed....
turkeykiller

Next

Return to Calling