Kee Kee Run

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
icdedturkes

Kee Kee Run

Postby icdedturkes » February 4th, 2009, 8:49 am

I have been talking to some comp callers and some others that know turkey vocalizations and have been discussing the fact that many of the calls have become stereotyped. One call that I feel that has truly become stereotyped is the kee kee run. ( can we please keep this discussion to the kee kee run)

I believe that through comp calling contests and instructional videos the kee kee run has basically been defined as 2 3 4 high pitched whistles followed by raspy yelps.

I dont have as much experience as some around turkeys in the fall, but I do have a couple pieces of deer ground where turkeys reside in the fall and have spent the better part of two falls amongst some very vocal turkeys. In these two years as well as past experiences and constant listening to recorded turkey sounds I believe that clear high pitched whistle is more of a rarity than the norm. To me the kee part actually is a lower tone with a more nasal quality to it than most perform on varying turkey calls. Yet if one were to perform a kee kee such as this on stage or amongst peers they may get laughed at although it is a true turkey vocalization.

I encourage some of the fall hunters to please chime in.

trkyklr

RE: Kee Kee Run

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 9:15 am

the kee kee is the high pitched whistle of the lost young turkey, that is why it is mainly used in the fall, after you bust a flock of fall birds there is nothing rare about the kee kee unless its an older group of birds thats been busted & they will usually yelp themselves back together 

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 4th, 2009, 9:22 am

I know what the kee is defined as and its purpose. But the post is aimed at discussing the tonal qualities of the kee more than the purpose.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 9:28 am

its more like a whistle than anything (high pitched)....

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 4th, 2009, 11:33 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

You've got the really young turkey pees...the older hen kees and the young gobbler kees which I replecate more as a rolling kaw sounding yodel yelp.

A fellow that hunts with me quite a bit worries himself to death about getting the kee kee down...

My question to him was out of all the turkeys you've heard when hunting with me (I'd estimate it close to 100 birds he's heard)...how many were coming in kee keeing verses yelping ?

I knew what his answer would be before he even answered...."more yelping"
The kees is a call that I use in the fall and spring with success but if I chose to never use it again I don't think my success would falter.
I'm betting most of the stage men have never really had much experience calling fall turkeys.
The "kee kee run" as they call it is more of a contest thing.
Thats more or less what I am getting at, the call has become stereotyped for contest and learning purposes.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 4th, 2009, 11:42 am

Kee kee run by contest standards seems to be kee kee's followed by yelps. Usually 3 or so followed by yelps like you stated. I've heard turkeys do that in the woods but I've heard alot more turkeys do 1 or 2 kees then a bunch of yelping or just the yelping. Clucks are also a common part of the kee kee run. Pretty young turkeys in Wi fall season alot younger than turkeys in other states during there fall seasons and they still yelp more than kee kee.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 4th, 2009, 11:58 am

I have heard many Kee Kee's in the woods, but next to never in the springtime.  I bowhunt deer every chance I get in the fall and put away the shotgun after my spring beard is taken, so I get to see alot of turkeys in my bow stand as they will frequent our property in the fall scratching in the hardwoods.  I would venture to say that about every five times I go out, over a two week period, to one of my treestands and sit all day I hear a kee kee from a young bird that lost its way or just wants some sort of attention.  I get a great view of the whole ordeal high up in a tree sometimes and more often then not get to see the youngen' kee keeing all the way to the flock after a member or few of the flock will answer with some yelps.  I've heard varying pitches of kee keeing and TurkeyComander summed it up well in his first sentence of his post.  If you've ever raised chickens you can hear similar sounds during their adolescent stages as well, where they are kinda stuck between a peep and a crow.  Of course, in this case it is a kee and yelp.  Same difference though.  I can't say that I've ever heard a yelp after a kee kee from a young hen or jake, in the case of a kee kee run, but maybe the birds I'm seeing are just too young during my bowhunting, since the climate is more northern.  Regardless, I don't use the call in the spring, cause I just don't hear it in the woods, and I'm in the woods just about every damn day off with firewood and what not to do.   I must tell you they keep me very interested and entertained sometimes when the deer are not moving and it is an otherwise boring day. 
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 4th, 2009, 2:43 pm

You've got the really young turkey pees...the older hen kees and the young gobbler kees which I replecate more as a rolling kaw sounding yodel yelp.

A fellow that hunts with me quite a bit worries himself to death about getting the kee kee down...

My question to him was out of all the turkeys you've heard when hunting with me (I'd estimate it close to 100 birds he's heard)...how many were coming in kee keeing verses yelping ?

I knew what his answer would be before he even answered...."more yelping"
The kees is a call that I use in the fall and spring with success but if I chose to never use it again I don't think my success would falter.
I'm betting most of the stage men have never really had much experience calling fall turkeys.
The "kee kee run" as they call it is more of a contest thing.

Ive heard plenty of fall turkey talk...and been on stage and have called in alot of fall birds..There is no great secret to calling in young of the year scared to death poults...or much of a challenge when broken properly...Depending on what age class they are will more than likely determine what the whistle has in tonal quality..It is listed as 2 seperate sounds..kee kee or whistle of a lost young turkey..kee kee run : series of whistles with yelps mixed in...I love when folks "talk" about stage callers..jealousy comes in all shades...
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 4th, 2009, 3:39 pm

My post had nothing to do with jealousy...just fact.

I know far more contest callers than you do...Your post contains fiction....
turkeykiller

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 4th, 2009, 4:08 pm

My post is not directed at anyone individual....

Fact....Being a good contest caller doesn't automatically make them super turkey hunters...or sound Gurus.

All it takes to get to obtain celebrity status is to win some big contests...the guys that have the talent and put in the time deserve a round of applause....

but

the fact iz.....There are plenty of average jOe callers/hunters that could whip the best contest caller/celebrity any day of the week in the turkey woods.

Use Map Quest to come north....
turkeykiller

Next

Return to Calling