Electronic calls.....

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
StevePA

Electronic calls.....

Postby StevePA » March 4th, 2009, 4:20 pm

They are legal in some states...Are they ethical?...Is it cheating?...When will they be outlawed?....All thoughts welcome!
turkeykiller

trkyklr

RE: Electronic calls.....

Postby trkyklr » March 4th, 2009, 4:22 pm

they are a joke![:@]

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 4th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Where are they legal?

StevePA

Postby StevePA » March 4th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Maine for one.....
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » March 4th, 2009, 5:43 pm

Texas probably allows them they also allow baiting. About the same in my mind.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 5th, 2009, 3:26 am

out lawed if you're using one you're no longer turkey hunting you're just a sniper if you won't take the time to learn how to use a call any kind of call you've no bissness hunting turkeys

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 5th, 2009, 3:37 am

Frankly, I think they are just one more abomination.  Will they call up a turkey?  Occasionally.  However, they lack the ability to communicate with a turkey.  No emotion; no inflection; no ability to quickly say what a gobbler needs to hear at a particular time.  I've seen a number of abominations arise over the last thirty-five years and expect to see more as the new hunter seeks to obtain an edge over the turkey rather than rely on hard work to learn to communicate with the turkey with quality calls from quality callers.  At the same time, there is no shortage of entrepreneurs successfully seeking to separate the hunter seeking that easy edge from his hard earned cash.  
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

sputterbug

Postby sputterbug » March 5th, 2009, 12:12 pm

They're flat, boring, with no inflection, are ineffective and can't compete with the dulcet tones of a decent caller, so why are we concerned they're unethical and cheating and need to be outlawed?

I thought they were a "training aid," although not much good for that either IMO.  Sounds files on CD or off the 'net are much better.

Any other states besides Maine where they're legal?

As for the assumption new hunters are looking to grab these up to get an edge, I don't agree.  I know several new hunters and none of them look to these devices, they look to people like you guys.
"It is unlikely you will become arrogant about your skills, because wild turkey gobblers do not tolerate arrogance." -Spring Turkey Hunting, John McDaniel

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 5th, 2009, 12:49 pm

it appears that the majority of people in this country ,,,maybe even the world ,,, are flat out addicted to ELECTRONICS . note that i said majority ,,, that leaves a minority . it won't surprise me when they reverse the law on the use of electronic callers for turkey hunting. i hope i'm wrong !! i find it very appealing to strike up a conversation with a person i've never met before ,,,conversation about turkeys and turkey hunting of course . can you imagine trying to talk to someone who hunts turkeys without a mouth call , box or slate ? doesn't know what a trumpet or wingbone is ?

hey ,,,here comes a hunter ,,,be still, i'll speak loudly and get his attention . HUNTERS OVER HERE,,,HEY ,,YES ,,,TO YOUR LEFT,,,OK COME ON OVER . how do you do ,,,blah ,blah ,blah,,,,,,you guys have any extra batteries ?

''old school turkey tactics ''

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 5th, 2009, 12:58 pm

funny you mentioned batteries mark,i've already heard a coversation on the subject of spare batteries between two hunters...they had those "red dot" scopes & one of thems battries went dead...i chuckled for a bit & then reminded them that scopes dont go on shotguns[:D][:D]

Next

Return to Calling