Pro staffers...fact or fiction?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
shaman

RE: Pro staffers...fact or fiction?

Postby shaman » February 25th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I'm a pro-staffer for a small turkey call company as well as a member of the pro-staff for Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine.  I get material to review. I have some input on calls that are in the pipeline. I do a lot of writing in return. I don't even have a hat from either of them.

Folks liked my writing; that's how I got to be a pro-staffer.  There isn't a whole lot to it beyond that.  If the turkey call company tried to foist something bogus on y'all I'd be the first to sound off. The compensation from any of these positions isn't enough to keep me from saying my mind. I have my own weblog and other projects that are far more important.  The weblog is getting to be a big thing-- had over 600 hits over Thanksgiving Day.

The guys involved with the call company are just a gas to talk to-- bunch of friends that all met in open chat on NAHC.  It's just a really interesting situation. The owner is a cancer survivor and he has to go through periodic treatments.  They have to put him out to do it, and he has a day or two where he's kinda half-in and half-out.  While he's zoned out, he has these visions-- usually about turkey calls, and he goes back to the workshop and tries what he's seen in his delirium. Some of his ideas are shear genius. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 25th, 2009, 2:55 pm

If a pro-staffer is just for promotional activities imo it is wrong. But a well rounded staff that is capable of prototype testing in various enviroments is an asset to any company. I think that some of the large companies have went the promotional route instead of the quality control route.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » February 25th, 2009, 4:07 pm

IMO the prostaff personnell is the backbone of the company they are representing, as it is them that makes contacts in the field with the user of the products they represent. They are the ones that get the answers to questions asked by the customers if they do not know the answers themselves. They do a lot of the prep work that goes into preparing for events and shows, and the tear down after such events and shows. They are NOT promotional anything! They are Professional Staff Members that should be professionals in thier feild of expertise. Being a professional does not merely mean you are good at something. It means you act professionally also in accordance with top notch etiquette, manners, ethics, morals, self-disipline, self-respect and loyalty, not to mention many other traits. Most pro-staffers I know receive no pay, but rather work because of a great passion for what they like and believe in. Some recieve discounts or perks as I do while prostaffing for Mossy Oak. My staff recieves free turkey calls, trips, hotel rooms, and a pat on the back for a job well done. I am just a callmaker, but my staff is what is behind the company and is what makes the company successful. Are prostaffers really neccasary? Darn right they are! And as far as I'm concerned if you got a problem with em, it just shows how shallow you are or maybe you just don't make the cut. On the other hand I've met and seen my share of hanger-ons, and all I can say is sometimes a wolf slips into the steer lot, and it takes time to get rid of him , but he will be found out.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF-TURKEYS  
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

tinker

Postby tinker » February 25th, 2009, 6:09 pm

I was a pro- staffer  for about 6 years for a shotgun manufacturer. Like Shaman said, its about using your expertise, written and oral communications to convey your opinion. Thats about it. The manufacturere wont hand you a turd and make you say its good, they want your opinion and "words" abot it to convey its worth.
 As far as it being wrong to have pro-staffers versus a well rounded staff, most companies DO have a well rounded staff, but financial constraints prohibits having a stable full of guys who are the Drew Bledsoe of guns/chokes/calls/loads/decoys/camo etc.  If they can find a "part-timer" who is well versed and eloquent, they can afford 10 guys like that versus putting two Chuck Adams caliber guys on the payroll. It just works for everyone.
No one here is so feeble of mind that they believe everything they hear. The manufacturers know this and try to put the most reputable source they can afford in front of thier product.  Hunters in general can smell a rat. None of us here would buy calls from the SHAM-WOW guy....

Lee

tinker

Postby tinker » February 25th, 2009, 6:20 pm

bout what? buying from the SHAM WOW guy....?

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » February 26th, 2009, 3:28 am

Well Frank, As a hunter I don't get so blowed up over numbers of kills as I do the numbers of experiences that I have had while in the field, woods or on the water. I believe that hunters who are caught up on their kill numbers are closed minded hunters, and quite possibly are missing the greatest part of a hunt. I'm not just talking about all the visual enjoyment that is the eye candy of the hunt, such as wildlife breeding, predators feeding, dogwoods blooming and all the other wonderful things one gets to see in the wild. That is the creation one is seeing while outdoors. The greatest part of the hunt is this, imo, if you notice all of the wonderful things in the creation Frank, you should know that it is the Creators' way of trying to get your attention in order draw you near to him so that you and He can have a personal relationship, in which he can share his love for you, with you. I won't tolerate a numbers killer on my staff. Just for the record, maybe steers was a wrong analogy, but I was trying to allude to thier prime select status.
The prostaff on the site is about 1/4 of the staff and I've got a guy that is pretty much knew to turkey hunting, only 3 yrs and two birds under his belt, but he is a hard worker, hungry to learn, very ethical, and the best part is he is a great father, a single father as a matter of fact. I'm very proud of him.
I also have 2 brothers who between them have over 55 years hunting turkeys and you'll never hear them talking about numbers.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF-TURKEYS   

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 26th, 2009, 4:43 am

This is true, I know a fella who has only hunter turkeys for about 12 years, but I guarantee you he has more experience than most guys who has hunted them for 30.

He hunts almost everyday of the season, once he tags out he is taking someone and calling them one up.

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

To me a Turkey hunter Pro Staffer means he's a Professional Turkey hunter....something you don't become without killing a lot of turkeys.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 26th, 2009, 6:05 am

This has nothing to do with pro staffers. But I personally go with percentage of tags filled. Anyone that can excited hen yelp can rack up some numbers when the turkeys are right. But filling tags all throughout the season when conditions arent perfect is a greater measure of success.

shaman

Postby shaman » February 26th, 2009, 9:28 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

I'm not too worried about numbers of turkeys killed...if you asked me how many I killed last year spring and fall I would have to think a while to get it right and then I might even miss a few.

To me a Turkey hunter Pro Staffer means he's a Professional Turkey hunter....something you don't become without killing a lot of turkeys.

Even "Sham Wow" knows how to best use his towels.

That is simply not a realistic expectation.  There is a huge difference between between a guy who makes his living hunting turkeys and a guy who represents a company on their pro-staff. 

Some pro-staffers are nothing more than a free hat. There are some very large companies out there who give out pro-staff designations with about that much concern. Other companies make their salesmen  pro-staffers. 

Heck, my first buck mount has a ball cap from Roger Wyant's Pro-Staff.  Dumb buck-- he fell to a scent line of the now-defunct Deer Formula-- it was even the wrong brand!

My point is that the rest of the world sees it a whole 'nother way.   I'm a pro-staffer for two companies, but I don't make a living at either turkey or deer hunting. That doesn't make me a fake. It does not make me a poser or fraud.  I don't claim to be much of an expert at anything.  However, if you ask me how I'd go about doing something, I'll give you my opinion. If you ask me about the products I represent, I'll be fairly knowledgeable. That does not make me a master hunter, a professional hunter, or anything other than a guy trying to be helpful.

There was a thread like this over on another forum recently, where a poster was challenging the company's pro-staff qualifications.  The answer was simply this:  we asked for volunteers and these were the guys who showed up.

I would strongly urge anyone who wants to take their love of the sport up a notch to approach the companies they  respect. Ask them if you can represent them on their pro-staff. You may get a hat.  For me, it was more a matter of just being in the right place at the right time and being invited based on my writing and my regular presence on the web.

PS: For all my trouble, I've yet to get a hat or a T-Shirt from either company I represent. So go figure.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » February 26th, 2009, 12:26 pm

I'm sure that you would like to post yourself as a professinal turkey hunter Frank, but unless thats how you make your living, outfitting, guiding, etc, and you make your living hunting turkeys or any thing else for that matter, your not a pro. A professional bass fisherman does what for a living ? A professional carpenter does what for a living? Aprofessional golfer does what for a living? I'm not trying to take anything away from your accomplishments Frank, but being a turkey killer does'nt make one a pro turkey hunter. Apro staffer is just a professional staff member who wears a lot of different hats in doing his or her job. 

A closed mind is like a closed parachute, neither work very well ! Da Hooooooosssshhhh 

PreviousNext

Return to Calling