Glass Pot Call Question

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
NEStrut

Glass Pot Call Question

Postby NEStrut » March 28th, 2009, 6:47 am

[hr]

I just bought a new glass pot call the other day, and was wondering what is probably a pretty simple question, but I don't know the answer too.

Do I need to rough up the surface on a glass call? I've only ever used actual slate calls before, so don't want to mess this one up.

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Glass Pot Call Question

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 28th, 2009, 6:52 am

NE Strut yes you need to etch the surface of your call to be able to create the friction needed to produce sound. What brand of call did you purchase?

These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 28th, 2009, 7:27 am

60 or 80 grit sandpaper will get the job done; sand in one direction, with the striker call across the grain for maximum friction.

Call will need reconditioned regularly in the field as your season progresses.  Good luck!
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » March 28th, 2009, 7:45 am

Good advice so far the only thing I might add,you can change the tone of a glass call by changing the grit of sand paper you use to sand it.Rough 60-80 will give you a course tone whereas say 220 will give you a higher clearer tone. My personnel favorite is 100 it is somewhere in the middle and produces the best sounds on my calls.
canecreekcalls.com

NEStrut

Postby NEStrut » March 28th, 2009, 11:53 am

I picked up the HS Strut Ringzone call. Have read some good things about it on other forums.

Thanks for the input guys. Basically, it works the same as a regular slate call then. You need to keep it roughed up for the friction. That's kind of what I thought, just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again guys.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 28th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Using different strikers will give you different tones too. I use acrylic, purple heart, and walnut strikers on my glass calls.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » March 28th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Some of your better glass surfaces come etched or blasted and are ready to run without no fuss or muss. Other than that though, the advice so far sounds good.
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

Return to Calling