Knight & Hale Fightin' Purrs system

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
TurkeyJohn

Knight & Hale Fightin' Purrs system

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 17th, 2011, 8:11 am

Hi Fellers,

Had a Bass Pro gift card burning a hole in my pocket so purchased one of these Knight & Hale Fightin Purrs systems.  You know, little pot shaped box with a handle and 2 strikers attached, when you turn the handle, both strikers activate.  Anyway, was wondering when the most apporpriate time or scenario would be to use it?  Wouldn't think at flydown, suspect mid to late morning, but wondering what your thoughts are here on the forum?  Thanks in advance,

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Knight & Hale Fightin' Purrs system

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 17th, 2011, 9:59 am

If it was me, I'd use it about a half hour after flydown, and then again about mid morning. You want to use it when the birds are most active. When they first flydown they are very talkative and as they start to group up and move toward a gobbler, they get a little pushy. Then again when they start to move off after they got their business done and run into other groups of birds, most new comers aren't welcome until they know their place in the flock. After that they settle down and go about they ways.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 17th, 2011, 10:27 am

I agree with Scott . But , the title of the thread reminds me of this past sunday morning at the public land .
 A truck came crawling up the road really slow and quiet . Kinda gave me the impression they wanted to sneak in and not disturb anything [8|]. Then we heard two doors SLAM shut and within a seconds time two fightin' purr calls were running [:D]. They run the call for about 30 seconds and stopped . Then they started again but from a little farther from the truck .
 I can't just imagine their conversation as they drove off . ''There ain't no turkeys around here !''[:D]

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 17th, 2011, 10:45 am

I can only imagine,  We don't really have public land here that holds birds.  Ours is called crown land and tends to be more north where the birds are few and far between.  Here, you typically need to work with a farmer or other friendly neighbour for permission to chase the birds on their property.  Don't usually have issues with other hunters unless someone is either trespassing on property they don't have permission on or they do have permission and just bugger your hunt.

So, the gyst I'm getting with regards to the call, is to use it once they're on the ground and may be jostling for position in the flock, and that just like kids in a playground, everyone else wants to watch a fight.  Am I right?

Thanks again guys,

John[8|]

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » May 17th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I love to use the fighting purr when your dealing with a bird thats hung up. Or everyones favorite, the bird that gobbles at everycall you make but never comes closer because he has hens. Sometimes that fighting purr can be the ticket because it seems like a tom loves to come check out a good fight
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Calling