mouthcalls for dummies

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
trkyhntr80

RE: mouthcalls for dummies

Postby trkyhntr80 » February 28th, 2011, 5:46 am

I was having troubles with mouth calls myself until I purchased a couple of the primos piggy back stacked frame calls these are the simplest mouth calls I have found.Give em a try you may find them great.

ghamlin10

Postby ghamlin10 » March 2nd, 2011, 2:20 pm

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT GUYS I APPRECIATE IT

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » March 2nd, 2011, 3:46 pm

I bought the Primos mouthcalls made easy dvd . It comes with three mouthcalls. The dvd is very good. One mouthcall has a plastic dome on it that makes it easier to use.I listen to it in my truck going to and from work. I bought it at cabelas 12.99.
Brian

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 6th, 2011, 4:54 pm

i bought a primos sonic dome mouth call on ebay the other day for $6 including the shipping. 
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 9th, 2011, 5:54 pm

today was the first time i could get a mouth call to produce consistent turkey sounds, i used the H.S. Strut EZ Rasp mouth call, i learned it has to go farther back in the roof of my mouth than i was doing and was making good yelps and great cuts, i love it. keep practicing
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

MrCritterKiller

Postby MrCritterKiller » April 26th, 2011, 3:18 pm

LOL to cut-n-run. My mouth calling epiphany was to learn to drop my lower jaw a fraction (repeat fraction!) of an inch. It took my 10 years to learn to run one (which gives you an idea of how stubborn I can be), but now I can run one good enough to fool many birds. For beginners, I like the H.S. Strut "Double D" or "Raspy Old Hen." Both are easy to blow and are my "go to" calls for soft work/closing the deal.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » May 7th, 2011, 8:56 am

ORIGINAL: ghamlin10

please help me out, i need a dummy guide for how to get a mouth call to work, felt like shooting myself last night triying to get it to work, then gave up, fealy depressed, THE SAME FEELING I GET WHEN I WATCH AN EPISODE OF LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRARIE................LOL

I happen to enjoy Little House on the Prarie........

crookedspur

Postby crookedspur » May 12th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I just "got it" this year. I have been turkey hunting for four years. I bought diaphragm calls in the past, got discouraged and always put them away. Last year I felt I had gotten the yelp down pretty well, but that was about it.

I again this year decided to give it another try. I picked up the Primos CD that others have already mentioned. I am a police officer and work 6pm until 6am. Most nights are pretty dead after 3am. I pop in the CD in the squad and follow along. Yesterday I used only a mouth call and called in my first turkeys with it (3 hens and 2 jakes). I was pretty excited as this confirmed I have the sounds down well enough to fool the real thing.

My suggestion is number one pick up this CD. As others have said play it away from others, my wife got irritated with me practicing in the house pretty quick. The set comes with 3 different style/sized calls. Keep the call in your mouth and play with it and you will find the right spot where it should go. Find the call that works/fits you best (I found I can use the regular ones fine, my brother has his best sound with the a-frame).
It's easy to get discouraged and put the call away thinking you just cant do it. I would suggest when you get discouraged put it away for a day or 2 and then get back on it. I guess I am lucky enough to have a squad to myself and 3 boring hours a night to practice. Just keep trying.
I was able to pick up the yelp pretty easy. Once I learned to cluck experimenting with different things with my lips and force behind the sound I found I picked up the rest really quickly (though I still cant purr with it). The cluck and cutt are all in the lips and force coming from the lungs.
Once you get it it's like riding a bike, you know right where to put the call in your mouth, the force needed to make the sound you want, what to do with your lips and how to control rythm and volume. I am now trying out different calls with all the various reeds and cuts to find the ones I like best. So far I have found different ones produce different sounds I like but havent found one I can use for everything. One makes a great kee kee, one makes a great cutt etc.
One other tip. GET THE CD and follow along, but I did find I use different reference words from what the CD offers. For example they reference the word "pluck" to cluck. I experimented and found I get the best result for me using "pup" as a reference. Experiment and then practice and you'll get it.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 21st, 2011, 2:52 am

**WARNING-- This is not a marriage enhansing activity. Keep calls in your vehicle to practice when you are driving alone and are not apt to annoy someone you love or damage another's hearing. I sometimes play a turkey sounds cd in the player in my truck and to mimic the sounds (and nobody's there to get annoyed with me).

I love this quote from Cut and Run. Also be sure that when ur goin' down that the highway and really yelpin' or cuttin' hard, that the feller or good lookin' honey in the car next to ya' doesn't have their window down LOL[:D][:D]!
I've gotten some pretty weird looks in that situation!!!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Previous

Return to Calling