Friction call/striker conditioning

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
hunter480

Friction call/striker conditioning

Postby hunter480 » May 12th, 2011, 8:17 am

I asked this question in a different thread, but it seems it may not be seen by all, and could have greater visibility here, as well as get information out to more folks.....

I just bought a Woodhaven Cherry Crystal friction call.....absolutely gorgeous sound......but want to know how to condition the call surface as well as the striker........

Already it sounds as though there is no cut and dry method, but it would be great to hear all the methods and opinions available.

crookedspur

RE: Friction call/striker conditioning

Postby crookedspur » May 12th, 2011, 4:04 pm

I bought a reconditioning kit (mine is Lohman's which came with everything for my slate call, my crystal call and box call also has a dvd to show what to do and which piece to use).
For the striker use either a piece of high grit sandpaper (120 grit in the kit) or a clean brillo pad should work too.
For the crystal the kit came with a "silica carbide abrasive". This works perfectly for my crystal and I follow it up with the sandpaper to smooth over any scratches that are deeper than others (this keeps the stiker moving smoothly over the entire surface). I then wipe with a clean cloth and that's it.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 22nd, 2011, 2:00 am

Drywall screen works well on the pot surface as well!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

doepee

Postby doepee » May 22nd, 2011, 6:40 am

I use 150 grit on my strikers for a good roughing and then for quite awhile thereafter I use the green scotchbrite or the brown.. it usually takes awhile before I have to use the 150 again... for slate the green scotchbrite, for crystal and glass you can use a primos slick stick stone, drywall screen, 80 grit sandpaper and then smooth it alittle with 100 grit. You can also use the silicon carbide wheels that comes with a dremel it  cuts glass and crystal well,,, real cheap at menards and lowes.. also any sharpening stone for knives will work some stones are harder than others you just have to experiment... when you find what works buy a bunch

Return to Calling