Primos Snuff Tube

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
hckyplayer8

Primos Snuff Tube

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 6th, 2011, 7:55 am

Had extra money left over from my Cabelas gift card. Ending up purchasing this tube since I and deathly afraid of choking on diaphragms.

Anybody use this call and have some pointers?

Thanks.

retranger

RE: Primos Snuff Tube

Postby retranger » May 6th, 2011, 10:18 am

never used one ,,,, have only used the box, pot & peg and wingbone. Never been able to get diaphragms to work.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 6th, 2011, 10:41 am

It is tricky to get used to. Follow the instructions and play with the position on your lower lip until you get the sound you want. It is a great locator because it can get as loud as you can blow. tough to use up close.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 22nd, 2011, 1:58 am

Practice gettin' the right postion (seal) with the lower lip and tiltin' the call to get the pitch you want. I've tried the Headhunter by Knight and Hale and the Cedar Hill version by the same name. The Knight/Hale version has the latex ya' have to adjust as the latex wears out and becomes weak. It's hard to get the right amount of stretch. The Cedar Hill comes with snap-in reeds. I struggle with this type of call to get consistent sounds. I've pretty much mastered almost all types of calls except this one. The mouth call was tough, but this one seems to equally challegin'[:@]. Good luck and kept tryin'. It'll take time just like a mouth diaphragm.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 23rd, 2011, 9:08 am

The Primos Snuff call is just about the largest diameter tube call on the market. For this reason it isn't much good beyond a locator call. It will produce the loudest cutt possible but is really tough to yelp and purr on. I recieved some personal instruction from Cuz Strickland at the NWTF Convention last year and he writes extensively in his books about the Snuff Can drawing gobbles when even Col. Tom Kelley's calling wouldn't produce. The snap on reed is a real plus as OnPoint is correct, getting the tension right on other tubes is a real bear. I have a laminated Woodhaven tube call that produces real sweet yelps and cutts but its dang near impossible to change the diapraghm out get the tension correct.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 23rd, 2011, 10:21 pm

I have purchased every single Quaker Boy Super Snuff cans that I can find.. I cannot comment on the Primos specifically.. I do not like it because the latex tension is already set, whereas with other snuff can calls the latex can be tuned for different pitches and sounds..

I will say however that a snuff tube is my absolute go to call for cutting and running.. It has gotten to the point that I do not even hit another turkey call upon stopping.. If they will not gobble to the snuff tube, they are either not there or not going to gobble..

With a good deal of practice, essentially every needed turkey vocalization can be produced with this type of caller.

Return to Calling