A Call went out...to a friend

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Fargohunt

A Call went out...to a friend

Postby Fargohunt » April 26th, 2010, 10:40 am

I made this call for my friend Larry Leslie (aka Da Hoosh--Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls)

I had just finished writing a long message about this call and my session timed out???

Okay, so for most of my life I have been a custom woodworker as a hobby and after getting swallowed up by turkey hunting last year and once deer season ended I started thinking about the notion to make a few box calls as they seemed to be the most challenging. I always like a challenge. At that same time, I be-friended Larry through the forum and for many reasons, some of which I can't explain, but I am beginning to understand, I thought to make Larry a call. Well, this past weekend I had the pleasure to hunt with Larry in some of his favorite spots in northern Indiana. Even though I didn't tag a bird, the trip was not focused on the hunt and I was able to personally deliver the call I made.

This call is a hand hewn'chiseled out cherry box with curly maple ends, sumac base with cherry sandwiched between. The paddle is padauk with curly maple accents. I will Larry comment on the quality of the sound--I have to tell ya, I was quite nervous making a call for a custom call maker, especially one of his stature.

Larry, I trust you'll do her justice and hope we will all soon see pictures of you, the gobbler and the call. All the best

Scott Witter

Kawboy888

RE: A Call went out...to a friend

Postby Kawboy888 » April 26th, 2010, 11:34 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Scott in my shop and chatting with him for a while. This call was one that he brought with him and she is a Beauty. She sounds fantastic too. It's a real testement to Scott's woodworking talents. I don't know how much free time Scott has for making calls to order but if you are looking for a box call that sings turkey and is a real looker, you may want to send hima PM.

Rich
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » April 26th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Yes Kawboy you are correct about the caller in everyway. I am very impressed, and extremely grateful. If I tell you it has turkey in, IT DOES. My time spent with Scott this past weekend, was very enlightning with smiles and some tears of joy on both counts. Thanks Scott, My life is fuller for having met you. God Bless my friend.

I posted some pics on call makers topic, and I obviously don't have the camera or skills with a camera that Scott posses. Please forgive the poor quality.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE !
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF
TURKEY & TURKEY HUNTING PRO STAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » April 26th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Hoosh,

Your words are spoken from the heart and with sincerity, I know for I have met you and spent time with you. It was a great pleasure too and I am grateful as well. I suspect our paths will cross again and I would be disappointed if they didn't.

I have to tell you all that there is far more to behold to the Hoosh than just talking with him on the forum and I too am blessed for having met and spent time with him.

Rich, I appreciate your kinds words--thank you and I enjoyed meeting you as well.

I will post pictures of my other 4 calls later. Larry's was the last call I made and honestly the best one!

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 26th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Beautiful Call scott! I am very impressed!!

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » April 26th, 2010, 3:59 pm

Nick,

Thank you very much--I really love making them! Just a few days to go--good luck opening day.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 26th, 2010, 4:30 pm

A great looking call. It's interesting to see how it has been made from one block of cherry, and how the curly maple, sumac, and padauk have been used without compromising the integrity of the cherry block. Nice work!

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » April 26th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Steve,

Those are some very kind words to a designer--tells me I did the first step right--thanks!

They didn't all turn that well, but I really wanted to be sure this call in particular was right in every way for Larry. There is so much to learn about call making and like the others my school days will never end--but that is fine with me.[;)]

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » April 27th, 2010, 7:56 am

Awesome work, very nice.  I don't think I would trust taking it out [:)]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 30th, 2010, 11:15 am

That is a fine looking box caller Scott, I like the wood combo's you used. Great job on the artwork too. [;)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Calling