saving mouth calls

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
eddie234

saving mouth calls

Postby eddie234 » May 27th, 2011, 5:45 am

I've got my favorite mouth call that I've rised in mouth wash and then rised in water and let dry with a toothpick seperating the reeds, it's only a double reed. Everytime I remove the toothpick the reeds stick together, I put it back under the water and seperated the reeds again. I've done this a couple times, is there a trick someone knows that I can use to keep the reeds from sticking together? It's my favorite call and just seems to have what the turkeys want.
Twitter: @edvogler

Cut N Run

RE: saving mouth calls

Postby Cut N Run » May 27th, 2011, 9:01 am

As much as I've tried to save some of my favorite diaphram calls, the fact is that they deteriorate over time and don't store very well.  You can keep them in the freezer to extend their life, but they have a finite lifespan. Consider diaphram calls disposable.

You should buy several of the same model of your favorites and keep them un-used until needed. I hate when calls are discontinued because I'm forced to find a suitable replacement.  I buy 6-8 of each of my favorite model every year and store the un-used ones in the refirgerator until the older ones are used up. I practice year-round with last season's calls and break in new calls as the season is getting closer. I probably go through more calls than the average hunter does too. You just can't have too much confidence or sound too good or on a turkey call.

I hope this helps.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » May 27th, 2011, 9:40 am

Ok the trick to getting your diaphrams reeds to not stick together. You have to get the saliva all washed out from between the reeds. Water alone does not dissolve saliva. I use a mixture of water and Crest Pro-Health Mouth Wash to brake down the saliva. I soak the calls with the reeds seperated with flat toothpicks. Then rinse them completly then dry them with toothpicks still between the reeds. This should help with the sticking reeds. 
Mike

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 27th, 2011, 11:40 am

I just scrub mine with tooth paste and a tooth brush rinse let them dry thoroughly and store them in a plastic call case. I keep them in a storage box in the basement and they are ready for the fall season.
I always start the spring season with new calls use them again in the fall then discard them.

Jon
Turkeybuster

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » May 27th, 2011, 2:26 pm

Keep the call in your refrigerator.After you rinse it put the flat tooth pick between the reeds and store it in the fridge.The temp in the fridge will cause the reeds to tighten up wich will keep the sound you are used to from the call.You can remove the tooth pick after the call is good and dry but you can leave it untill your ready to use the call again if wanted.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 27th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Some call companies (Quaker Boy sells them as "call savers") have come out with plastic inserts that are inserted between the reeds and run the full span of the reed. The only trouble with that is that you had to buy one of their calls to the  inserts that came with them. I fixed that by going to a place like Office Depot or Office Max and buying their standard (smaller) size color coated paper clips and fabricating my own spacers. All u need is a pair of pliers/side cutters. Fold the paper clip open so you have two halves and then cut them in to pieces to make 2 spacers. Then bend them out to make a v-shape and trim them to the size you want. Presto! Ya' got dirt cheap reed separators. Lubricate reeds with a small amt of mouthwash that you've swished around in your mouth, pinch each reed individually, and put in spacers that are needed. To help preserve calls I hold a small amt. of Listerene (flavored) in my mouth and briefly soak the call with the spacers already in  before storing in the fridge. I store my calls either in the original plastic packs they came in or some type of call holder. Always be sure follow the same procedure before using them after they've been stored for period of time. Even under refrigeration, bacteria can build up and give you a rather nasty sore throat if you aren't careful. Take it from one who knows.[:@]
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 27th, 2011, 6:54 pm

i store my calls, after use and from season to season, in the fridge soaking in plax, i do rinse 'em in water after use, making sure to rinse between reeds to get out saliva, plax has alcohol in it to kill bacteria, i used the same calls this year that i used last year, and i plan on using them again this fall and next spring [hopefully], i do buy spares of my favorites, but being a cheap sob, they don't get used until absolutley necessary....
David

You never know, unless you go

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 28th, 2011, 3:56 am

One word: diaphresh.
One website: www.diaphresh.com/

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

scott ellis1974

Re: saving mouth calls

Postby scott ellis1974 » December 14th, 2011, 4:48 am

Before you slide the toothpick out-force some saliva in between the reeds, this will "lube" them up causing them not to stick....

SE

eddie234

Re: saving mouth calls

Postby eddie234 » March 9th, 2012, 6:33 pm

ive tried alot of different things since my original post. Heres whats seem to work the best so far. after washing the call and letting it dry I put a little talcum power between the reed and smooth it around with a q-tip. seem to work like a charm.
Twitter: @edvogler

Next

Return to Calling