Do you notch your calls?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
stra8shooter

RE: Do you notch your calls?

Postby stra8shooter » April 18th, 2010, 1:10 am

absolutely!!  which ever box call worked on that day fool pruf or  world champian it gets a mark. I have many other box calls but the lynchs work the best for me.  good luck and get outside.
                        mike

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 18th, 2010, 6:15 am

i don't notch my calls . i keep a tail feather form each bird then put a small tag with the date and place i got him on it then tack to the turkey board on the wall next to the gun rack[:D] wayne

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 18th, 2010, 12:48 pm

A buddy of mine uses a sharpie marker to add a strike to his call.  It is sort of a way of personalizing it.

My nephew was messing with my pot calls as I was trying to teach him how to run one, when he noticed the notches in the bottom of the older call.  When I told him that each notch was for a turkey that was taken with the help of that call, He thought it was pretty cool.  He said, "Kinda like those fighter plane pilots used to paint under the windows of their airplanes." I told him that in a different sort of way, it was similar.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » April 19th, 2010, 9:55 am

I notch my calls as well. I think its a neat way to personalize it and make a memory of the hunt. I saw on tv the other day michael waddell had his old 11-87 that he made tally marks on with a sharpie. I cant remember how many were killed with it but it was a crazy amount. Plus he said that many others had killed birds with the gun as well. Its not defacing anything its adding character in my opinion.

DBraman

Postby DBraman » April 23rd, 2010, 6:07 am

I notch my call too, and they are all hand made. I realize the work that goes into making them; but, I also think that once I pay for it, it is mine. To me, it adds character to the call. Just my opinion. Liked the idea of saving the tail feather ands putting a tag on it as well. Good luck to all
Mellon Creek Outfitters
www.melloncreekoutfitters.com

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » May 7th, 2010, 5:29 am

I think a sharpie would be better that notching. But instead of having two marks on one call and one mark on another I'd like to keep all my marks in one place. I have a tail fan display with my first (and only) turkey so far. The next one I get will get another beard attached to it with the date.
How about little small turkey stickers you can put on the butt of your gun. Kinda like you see on all the stickers on college football helmets?

Previous

Return to Calling