calling

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Turkeybuster

RE: calling

Postby Turkeybuster » March 25th, 2010, 4:49 pm

A crow call will work at times during the day dont be afraid to use it loudly.
Jon
Turkeybuster

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 25th, 2010, 5:40 pm

Louder the better
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 25th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Both of these guys have it right. A good, loud crow call will work during any time of the day. I like to get next to a fence line or at the edge of fields and blow a few quick, hard calls out there to fire up a few gobblers. The wind does make things a little tougher, but a loud call can cut through some relatively strong winds!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 25th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Louder and higher pitch.. I cannot count the number of times I have had a crow sound off, nothing hit my crow call BOOM gobble.. It is not about being perfectly realistic, but instead putting the correct sound out their to make a turkey sound off..

Of course I am partial to ours because it works, but in all honesty I have only found one other crow call that works as well.

creek bottom

Postby creek bottom » March 26th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Shawn Feider

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » March 26th, 2010, 3:03 pm

I personally love my Primos power crow call. Its inexpensive ($6.99 @ Wal mart) and it has a wide range of tones to it. Its really loud too!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » March 27th, 2010, 9:16 pm

A HUGE problem that I have noticed with friends and customers that I hunt with using locator calls is that they don't think about something very important. Once you start sounding off to locate birds, the birds are at the same time locating you. Do not stand in the middle of a wide open field and hit your crow call. I use a crow call often throughout the day and I act as if I am staring at a flock of birds 50 yards in front of me. Get up next to a tree, kneel down, do something other than wear your work clothes out there and stomp through the woods blowing your lungs out.
"Hunt" for the birds location, be stealthy, be cat-like and don't over do it with the crow call.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

hurlburtjoa

calling

Postby hurlburtjoa » May 7th, 2010, 7:20 am

So ive been out hunting for spring turkey almost everyday. When is the best time to call in the morning, as soon as you hear the gobbles? Or do you wait a little while and then call a little. Also when you see the tom coming out of the woods and staring at you, do you call at all? I had one come out to the woods line today (i was in a field), stare at me and then slowly walk away. What kind of call would bring him in?

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » May 7th, 2010, 2:04 pm

First off when hunting fields I always use a decoy or two to get their focus on it because they
are expecting to see a hen. When they don't they often get nervous and walk away. If he was
staring at you he may have seen you and that's why he left. I use a blind when hunting the
fields with decoys so they can't see me and only lock onto the decoys. As far as calling you never
know what kind of calling will work until you try calling to him. I try to get them gobbling to me
on the roost with soft tree yelps first and if that works I won't call again until he's on the ground
and I try some purrs and clucks or some more yelps. If he don't answer I try some cutts and yelps.
Some like soft calling and others like aggressive calling, only one way to find out.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 8th, 2010, 9:27 am

It depends a lot on what a Tom is doing. If he is gobbling a lot on the roost, I don't use a tree call if a bird is with in 200 yds of me. I wait until he is on the ground before I ever make a call. If he gobbles only once or twice I will make one soft tree call, just to let him know I'm there. I do tree call if I haven't heard a bird gobble and I use a flydown cackle. If a bird comes out in a field and looks, I give him some excited clucks and purrs, if he is over a 100 yds away. If he is closer I give him some excited cutts and a yelp or two then more cutts followed by some excited purrs. I'll keep some purrs going until he's with in range. If he doesn't seem interested or just comes out and wonders off I will gobble on a box call. This has worked very good for me this year, I've been out hunting 6 times and it has put a bird to the barrel 4 of the 6 times out.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Calling