Problem with Slate Call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
DeanoZ

Problem with Slate Call

Postby DeanoZ » May 12th, 2010, 3:56 am

I have a K&H Old Lady Hen Slate Call...bought it at Bass Pro after trying out just about every slate call they had on display.  When I'm at home or in a casual environement it sounds beautiful and I have no problem getting the sounds out of it I want.  No sooner I hit the field and put it into an actual live hunt, its hit or miss...especially with the purrs.  Its almost as if its wet, but its not.  I've sanded it down a couple times (same direction always) again it sounds great inside, but no sooner I use it on a hunt, its inconsistent again.  I wonder if perhaps the morning air has some moisture in it that affects it?  The funny thing is for the most part its been down right chilly and dry in the mornings so I'm perplexed [8|]

BigBuckeye

RE: Problem with Slate Call

Postby BigBuckeye » May 12th, 2010, 6:20 am

I practice in my car all of time and it sounds okay.  When I get out to the woods, it sounds different even though it should sound the same.  I found that practicing in a park (can be embarrassing) or at least outside will help me tune it in to more life-like sounds.
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 13th, 2010, 8:57 am

That is one of the problems with slate calls, the slate is like a spung and will change from day to day. One thing you can do is keep your slate calls in a ziplock bag it'll help keep them dry and when your not playing it turn it over slate down and set it on the bag. You can also heat the slate up with a lighter and dry it out a little, just be carefull that you don't over heat it and pop the glue loose. Also make sure your striker stays clean if it won't grab the slate it won't play for beans.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 13th, 2010, 8:59 am

Thanks for the tips gents...yeah I may have to pick up a glass call...Scott you sell any of those?

Return to Calling