Call for a kid

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
shad309

Call for a kid

Postby shad309 » June 7th, 2010, 2:25 pm

My son has been eyeballing my calls, especially my first call (NO WAY). I can't decide between a scratchbox, box, slate, or a wingbone. I figure if he gets started at an early age he should be a "pro" in no time. I'm not a mouthcall user so I would be no help in teaching so staying away from them.

He will turn 8 on the 14th, so I'm looking for something quick. I don't really want to buy something off the rack but not looking for a show piece, just something for him to cut his teeth on. Any thoughts or suggestions?

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: Call for a kid

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 7th, 2010, 4:26 pm

I would suggest either a box or a slate, for the one reason you can run most every sound a bird makes on them with a little practice and both are very easy to master and very little maintance. Also don't over look a push button, easy to run and very effective.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Matt Raymond

Postby Matt Raymond » June 8th, 2010, 10:55 am

I have a slate, and a few box calls. My kids love working all of them. My daughter is a little better than my son. She is 9 he is 8. She can purr really well on the slate and does a pretty convincing yelp. They also love my wingbone, but I don't let them mess with it. Kids pick it up pretty quickly, I was amazed. We've had birds gobble back out behind the house when they call, they get excited when a bird hammers back.

Matt

shad309

Postby shad309 » June 8th, 2010, 11:13 am

I took a great suggestion from Scott and ordered a box call kit. Hope he will have a lifetime of memories from it, I know I will enjoy every minute of it!

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » June 8th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I say get the started practicing a mouth call as soon as possible and if that's not an option then give them a pot call. They are fairly easy to learn and can produce most sounds of a turkey.
2012 MN "King Kaller and Iowa State Open Champion
2010, '11, '12 Mid-Iowa Owl Hooting Champion
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com

JPH

Postby JPH » June 9th, 2010, 2:13 am

I agree with simpzenith. I think I benefit from the fact that I was handed a diaphragm call and an instructional cassette at an early age.

My advice would be to pick up a thin reed diaphragm along with a box or a pot and peg.

shad309

Postby shad309 » June 9th, 2010, 2:53 am

Thanks for all the responses! I will have a box call kit arrive any day for us to put together. I'm going to work on that first and then I will do some looking for a youth reed.

I uploaded some mp3's of turkeys to his ipod and have a cd on the way to put on there as well.

He may turn into my little Ace in the hole!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » June 9th, 2010, 3:20 am

Sounds like fun. Enjoy!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 9th, 2010, 5:23 am

As fast as kids pick up on things he may rock n roll on all of them [;)].
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Calling