Back in the Game...

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
remisgunner

Back in the Game...

Postby remisgunner » June 22nd, 2010, 11:44 am

I haven't hunted turkeys in about 15 years but my boys and I have been bit by the bug to get back to it. When I did hunt it was with my college roommate and he was the "caller" between us. He was very good and he taught me how to use a mouth call but that's where I stopped. I have already got some mouth calls to get started again but I was wondering about adding some more ammo to my arsenal for calling. I am comfortable and decent with a mouth call but I am thinking about moving to friction and/or box calls. I know as with any calling variety of sounds is key, but where should I start first; box call or friction call? If friction calls, I know there are various materials they are made from, what do you recommend? In either case, can you recommend a good starting product? I am not necessarily looking for a quick and easy solution, I can be tenacious when it comes to hunting. Thanks in advance for your help.
Jason

grizzly

RE: Back in the Game...

Postby grizzly » June 22nd, 2010, 12:26 pm

well jason i feel that a good slate pot and peg can't be beat you can do a lot of the different calls. i have used one for many years with good success but to be honest this season i thinking that it wasn't enough and i'm adding a box call to my hunting for another sound . i'm sure the rest of the boys will be posting shortly so you will have a lot to choose form [;)]wayne

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 22nd, 2010, 4:42 pm

I agree with Wayne. A slate seems to be more forgiving and you should be able to produce some pretty realistic sounds with enough practice.

I can make a box call sound pretty decent, but I am more likely to make mistakes with it than a slate. I think it is all about what you develop confidence in.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

woodzman

Postby woodzman » June 23rd, 2010, 2:32 am

I use more diaphram calls than anything else, but I always have a slate and peg tucked in a pocket. Like grizzly and Cut N Run said, they're not a hard call to master and they sound sweet. I especially like the soft purrs and whines from a good slate.

Bob

remisgunner

Postby remisgunner » June 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm

Thanks for the comments so far boys. I think I will go ahead and start looking at slate friction calls. I have been looking at the HS line up and since that is what I like for mouth calls I will try out their slate calls.
Jason

grizzly

Postby grizzly » June 23rd, 2010, 8:56 pm

jason may i make a suggestion i have fond that if you want a really good slate call you need to look into custom calls . in the last couple of years i have bought three and have been very happy with them and as far as price not much more then the major makers . i have bought calls form scott of willow ridge calls and larry of hoosier hunter calls who are both great guys to talk to about what you want , i have brought form cane creek calls their custom slate is a good sounding call and there is a host of talented call makers here on site. just something to consider [:D] wayne 

remisgunner

Postby remisgunner » June 24th, 2010, 4:21 am

Griz, thanks for the advice. I have looked at a couple of custom calls and they were in the $60-70 range and it scared me off (haha). I will take a longer look at some customs and I will search through this forum to get some names of custom call makers and start researching. Thanks again.
Jason

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » June 24th, 2010, 4:54 am

You may buy several 'over the counter' calls before deciding to go custom.  It all adds up, I would suggest a custom call from the start and only spend the money once.

JMTC (just my two cents) having gone through it myself.  I just commissioned an heirloom from Kawboy888 that will also hunt.  Totally worth the price.

I found, like in many things in life, you get what you pay for.

Good luck in any case.  Calling is just one piece of the gobbler puzzle anyway[:D]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » June 24th, 2010, 7:59 am

Hey remisgunner; It's great to be a turkeyhunter again I'll bet! I agree with the previous replys to your calling ?s. Some form of a slate call whether it's glass, slate, frictionite whatever works great and is easy to master. I have had a little trouble with aluminum calls and graphite strikers though! They just sqeak too much for me, and don't consistantly sound turkeyish enough for my liking. Maybe it's only me? But I'm going out on a limb and suggest using a pushbutton call. They are very easy to use and master all turkey sounds! Sometimes when other calls fail to get a response the push button trips their trigger.Other than a mouth call it is the easist to use at the last second before putting the hammer down on them. (less movement when they are close to your position) The hardest part about using a pushbutton call is finding the right one!! Some sound like crap, some sound springy, some are to quiet. Look for one that sounds the best to you!!! Good luck and good hunting    joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

remisgunner

Postby remisgunner » June 25th, 2010, 1:00 am

Well I had a great confidence booster last night in my bility to use mouth calls. The past few nights the family and I have been taking drives out in the country through a few WMAs just seeing what is out and about. Well my youngest son and I were out last night and we came across a flock of turkeys about 250 yards from the road and being the student I am I always take my mouth calls with me to practice while I am driving. Well this flock appeared to have a couple of hens but was mostly older jakes and younger toms. I didn't see anything really big as far as beards. Well I decided to give them a couple of yelps to see what they would do. After my first yelps they immediately jerked their heads up from feeding a started looking at me. I was surprised they heard me first of all. I waited a few minutes and gave another series of yelps and low and behold I got one to gobble! That was the first time my youngest heard a real gobble (except TV) and he was pretty excited (as was I). Too bad they don't have a summer season for turkeys...I am chomping at the bit now!

Edit....Here are some pictures of those turkeys.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb30 ... G_9184.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb30 ... G_9185.jpg
Jason

Return to Calling