Help with Primos Wet Box

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Jrhunter25

Help with Primos Wet Box

Postby Jrhunter25 » January 4th, 2014, 12:36 am

Help ! I got a Wet Box form misoiltester, and it stopped making sound. I tightened the screw and when I go to yelp or cut with it and makes no or barley any sound. I guess it needs no chalking because of the water resistant black stuff, so I don't need to chalk it do I need to sand it ? How would I do it ?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Help with Primos Wet Box

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 4th, 2014, 11:01 am

Do Not Adjust that screw, those calls are very fussy to where the right angle of the lid is on them, if you change that they won't play worth a dang. No need to sand or chalk the just need to be played until the surface gets worn off enough to where the lid and rail match and make a good contact point. Adjust your screw back to the same place it was and it should play again.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » January 4th, 2014, 11:17 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Do Not Adjust that screw, those calls are very fussy to where the right angle of the lid is on them, if you change that they won't play worth a dang. No need to sand or chalk the just need to be played until the surface gets worn off enough to where the lid and rail match and make a good contact point. Adjust your screw back to the same place it was and it should play again.

After it stopped making sound is when I adjusted the screw.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 4th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Is the surface on the bottom of the call getting worn off? Also never touch the rails or the under side of the lid with your bare fingers, that will stop a call from playing real quick.
Can you post a pics? If so take a pic of it where the call was set up.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » January 4th, 2014, 4:07 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Is the surface on the bottom of the call getting worn off? Also never touch the rails or the under side of the lid with your bare fingers, that will stop a call from playing real quick.
Can you post a pics? If so take a pic of it where the call was set up.

I have touched on accident once, but since I don't need to chalk it I thought it was okay. Can't post pics since my Computer is not letting me post photos.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 4th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Ok that call has the slate painted surfaces, on both the under side of the lid and the tops of the rails. Any human oils that gets on the painted areas can't soak in, so it smeers up an down the rails and soon the call won't play, oils just make it slick. If you have some alcohol to wipe the lid and rail tops off that will help clean them, wipe them down then dry them with a hair dryer. If you don't have alcohol, then you could use a little Dawn dish soap on a damp rag will work also, wipe it on let it work for a minute, then take a wet rag and wipe it off.

That is a very common thing people do, they get that call and rub their fingers up n down the surfaces to see what that paint is and what it feels like, then they try to play the call, and it won't play???
I watched the lady that registered calls at the Midwest competition do exactly that. She was sitting there eating a bag of chips and every guy that brought there calls up to register, she would take her fingers and wipe all the conditioning dust off the playing surfaces of all the pot calls, to make them look pretty for the judges. She would do that while the guys were filling out the paper work. I watched a guy conditioning his alum call for half an hour, and she wipe all the dust off it with her fingers, well after eating tater chips you can guess what her fingers were full of (Grease) and after she cleaned the surfaces off, the calls wouldn't play, no matter what you did to them. I caught the guy before he left and told him to go check his calls to see if they'd play? He said no need to I just spent a lot of time conditioning them. I told him what she did and he went and got his calls back and tried to play them, no sound what so ever came out of them. He went and talked to the guy in control of the calls and he removed her from the registration table. She had no clue what she was doing to the calls? So YES finger prints on a playing surface will mess a call up big time!!!
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on January 4th, 2014, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Jrhunter25

Postby Jrhunter25 » January 4th, 2014, 8:48 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Ok that call has the slate painted surfaces, on both the under side of the lid and the tops of the rails. Any human oils that gets on the painted areas can't soak in, so it smeers up an down the rails and soon the call won't play, oils just make it slick. If you have some alcohol to wipe the lid and rail tops off that will help clean them, wipe them down then dry them with a hair dryer. If you don't have alcohol, then you could use a little Dawn dish soap on a damp rag will work also, wipe it on let it work for a minute, then take a wet rag and wipe it off.

Plain old rubbing alcohol ? Alright I try that tomorrow morning.

retranger

Postby retranger » January 4th, 2014, 9:26 pm

Dawn dish soap to the rescue. It is good for anything :) :)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 12th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Did the info we gave you help your call any?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Calling