What calls to use in spring turkey hunting ?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Jrhunter25

What calls to use in spring turkey hunting ?

Postby Jrhunter25 » December 5th, 2013, 8:42 pm

What kind of calls should I use for spring turkey hunting ? What is the behavior of turkeys in the spring ? Do they want to mate ? Do the gobblers want to defend their territory ? How often should I do a certain call ? A lot or a little ?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: What calls to use in spring turkey hunting ?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 5th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Search for the Turkey School posts farther down in this section. Those will give you a good idea of what calls to use, when, and how often.

Early season birds are defending their breeding territories until the hens are ready. Once the hens are ready to breed, that's all they are interested in. As the breeding cycle is ending a gobbler will travel looking for a hen, ones the breeding is over gobblers prefer to be alone to eat and rest up from all the fighting and running they do.

Your calling tatics have to change along with your setups as to what part of the breeding cycle the birds are in. What worked early season may not work at all later in the season. Hard to work birds are often sub-dominant birds, that have gotten put in their place by the boss gobbler, so they may be shy at gobbling or choose not to gobble to keep from gettin in trouble again, they come in silent or circle and not come in at all. That's when knowing what calls to use, volume and how often you call is most important. Learning to take a birds temp is important, you'll learn from how a bird answers your calls as what state of mind he's in. If he's a hot bird, he'll blast an excited gobble back at you as soon as your done calling or he'll cut your calling off. If he's a sub-bird he may gobble back softly and it may take a few minutes for him to answer you.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

timbrhuntr

Re: What calls to use in spring turkey hunting ?

Postby timbrhuntr » January 4th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Best thing I ever did was get Lovett Williams, Jr. Real Turkey cd's. They have about every turkey call there is all made by real turkeys. Plus he gives some great calling advise. If you don't learn anything else at least get good at using the plain yelp and in proper cadence. Turkeys are curious about other turkeys and will usually come to investigate another turkey calling.One year I decided to use nothing but plain yelps to see if I could get turkeys in. I called in a bunch of turkeys that spring with just plain yelps. Now its about all I use along with a few cutts.

Return to Calling