Jakes reaction to squirrel call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
Steve_In

Jakes reaction to squirrel call

Postby Steve_In » August 30th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Last Saturday I went for a morning of squirrel hunting. I carry a Mr Squirrel whistle. A jake flew into the field I was walking along and when he yelped I did my best voice yelp. He came within 20 yards of me then went into the woods. I spotted a squirrel but could not get a shot. I broke out the call and ran a couple of squeals and that jake went nuts. He clucked, cut, did about everything but gobble. He came towards me clucking all the time. He busted me through the heavy brush but hung around out of sight. For about half an hour all I had to do was call and he would start all over. The call produces a squeal like you can make by puckering your lips and inhaling sharply only with more volume. Next time I hunt there I will throw in a call.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

kygobbler

Re: Jakes reaction to squirrel call

Postby kygobbler » August 30th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Hey Steve, have you ever used a distress rabbit call while squirrel hunting? Last winter when I was yote hunting I was setup on the edge of the woods and blew the rabbit call. I had 7 squirrels come running in to investigate. I've only gone squirrel hunting once this fall so far and forgot to bring the rabbit call but next time I go I won't forget it.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Jakes reaction to squirrel call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 30th, 2013, 4:36 pm

That's like those birds last deer season that I called in with the wrapper off my Hostess cup cake. I've always said there is no such thing as a bad sounding turkey call, because we never know what will trip their triggers??
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Calling