Which Owl Call Do You Recemmend?

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
ncturkeytalk14

Which Owl Call Do You Recemmend?

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » June 12th, 2013, 11:26 am

I have a couple of owl calls, but i don't get the volume or sound that i would like to hear. I checked several internet sites and have a list of the calls, but not sure which one is the best and worth the money, i don't have the money to be wasting on calls that are'nt going to work or sound correct. I was wandering if anyone could point me in the direction of a owl call that you have had success with and works good. I am trying to gain from others and create a process of elimation for myself.
Bud & Betty Custom Owl Hooter
Close Calls Super Heater Owl Locater
Down-N-Dirty Boogeyman Owl Call
Hook Harrison Hoot'n Stick
HS Strut Link Shaker Reel Owl Hooter
Knight & Hale Knight Owl Call
Knight & Hale Mark Prudhome Signature Owl Call
Cane Creek Reed Owl Call
Flextone Owl Hooter Call
Knight & Hale Shock Gobble Owl w/hoot Enhancer
MAD Locator Owl Call
Quaker Boy All Weather Owl Hooter
Quaker Boy Turkey Thugs Owl Hooter
Red Head Owl Call
Primos Power Owl Mouth Call
Preston's Owl Hooter Locator Call
Primos 359 Shock N Owl Locator Turkey Call
William Penn Cherry Owl Hooter Turkey Call
Haydels Game Calls Compensator Owl Call
Maestro Reel McCoy Owl Hooter Turkey Call
Which one works best ?? Help appreciated!!
Thanks to all
Mike
ncturkeytalk
Last edited by ncturkeytalk14 on January 23rd, 2014, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceoiler

Re: Which Owl Call Do You Recemmend?

Postby iceoiler » June 12th, 2013, 11:47 am

The harrison hoot n stick is the best i have heard, but in have not heard the zink nite owl yet, and at $60 i don't want to take a chance, would love the hear from someone that has heard the zink call, and how it compares to the harrison.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » June 12th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Voice.

Its the loudest I have heard.

Compact and easy to carry too. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 12th, 2013, 10:46 pm

From the calls I've ran and heard, the Harrison Hoot n Stick is one of the best Owl Calls that Hooks sell. It has a very for real sound to it and will get a bird gobblin, and a lot of other owls going also. Hooks sell them in a poly and a wood call. The wood calls have more volume to them and in my opinion a better sound to them. I own a poly call and I've hunted with guys that run their wooden calls, I can't get as much volume out of mine as they do from their wooden calls. You'll see a lot of competition callers using Harrisons wooden calls for calling competitions because of the way they sound. They are a very good call.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

iceoiler

Postby iceoiler » June 27th, 2013, 6:26 pm

So i blew the zink nite owl and bought it immediatly. Super easy, super hollow sounding, not too raspy like the majority of owl hooters. Its by far the nicest owl hooter. I heard zink is no longer makin em so if you see one out there, i suggest you pick it up.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » July 6th, 2013, 8:24 am

Palmer's Hoot Flute ain't bad at less than 20 bucks. I've got the wooden version
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » August 2nd, 2013, 9:22 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:From the calls I've ran and heard, the Harrison Hoot n Stick is one of the best Owl Calls that Hooks sell. It has a very for real sound to it and will get a bird gobblin, and a lot of other owls going also. Hooks sell them in a poly and a wood call. The wood calls have more volume to them and in my opinion a better sound to them. I own a poly call and I've hunted with guys that run their wooden calls, I can't get as much volume out of mine as they do from their wooden calls. You'll see a lot of competition callers using Harrisons wooden calls for calling competitions because of the way they sound. They are a very good call.

We opened up the exit diameter a fuzz this past year. IF your poly call is a few years old it has the smaller exit diameter. That was one request from folks was to have it be louder.. It worked but I think the old one was plenty loud and carried suprisingly well.. The wind killed it but I do not think the natural tones of an owl cut the wind very well . One thing opening it up did for me personally was allowed me to get a larger separation in tone and volume from the notes leading to the laugh and the laugh itself..

As for the Poly vs Wood.. Ive been next to James many a time running wood than poly and their is very little discernible difference in sound.. For a hunting call its basically a wash.. I have both and most times hunt the poly..

Here is an older video of James running the call.. He mentioned a more in depth instructional in the future..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As_djxF2ntk

Bradc

Postby Bradc » August 31st, 2013, 2:39 pm

I could be mistaken but I thought that James used the poly hooter for his personal use. I have the poly hooter and like it a lot.

Bamatrkyhntr

Postby Bamatrkyhntr » January 22nd, 2014, 11:14 am

The knight and hale Mark Prudomme call is nice. I took the chamber off of the end and just use my hands to change the volume. It has a little higher sound than most and will really crank em up.

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » January 22nd, 2014, 7:37 pm

Next

Return to Calling