Purring with a mouth call

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
BigBuckeye

Purring with a mouth call

Postby BigBuckeye » May 12th, 2010, 6:25 am

I have practiced a lot and have everything down (still need to hone and tweak volumes) with my diaphram calls.  What I can't seem to get close to is the purring.  The hunting shows where the hunters purr sound good but I can't tell what they do with their lips etc to make the purr.

Can someone give me some pointers or suggest a video/CD where it goes into detail how to do it effectively?

Thanks
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

mark hay

RE: Purring with a mouth call

Postby mark hay » May 12th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Not all mouthcalls are suitable for purring .

I let it lie loose on my tongue and huff air up,,,,,and flutter my tongue . Mouth is barely open, and the rhythm is altered by amount of HUFF and slight movement of my lips.

Fightin' purr is a lot easier to make ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not always practical .

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 12th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I use a mouth call alot but really struggle to purr with one. I have taught myself to purr with my voice by fluttering my tongue, it really isnt that hard to do, give it a try. 

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 12th, 2010, 3:06 pm

ORIGINAL: MAKEemQUIVER

I use a mouth call alot but really struggle to purr with one. I have taught myself to purr with my voice by fluttering my tongue, it really isnt that hard to do, give it a try. 

If ya huff like Mark is saying and flutter your tongue like MakemQuiver does you'll get the purr...it won't sound pretty at first and you'll have to play with the the amount of huffing and pressure of the tongue on the fluttering, but after a while it will come together.....the volume is what i have trouble with right now.  My purrs are kinda loud, so until I get them softer I stick with the pot and peg purrs.

JPH

Postby JPH » May 12th, 2010, 4:14 pm

I make a sort of "squeel" over my mouth call while fluttering my lips like Mr. Ed.

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » May 13th, 2010, 4:49 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I make a sort of "squeel" over my mouth call while fluttering my lips like Mr. Ed.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will continue to work it.

JPH, that's the only way I can get it work so far.  When I try to do what Mark and MeQ suggest, I end up gagging or shooting it out of my mouth[:@]

Last weekend of the TX season so I will stay with the pot/peg so I don't ruin any chances I may get.  Going to be a stormy weekend, ALL WEEKEND[:(]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » May 17th, 2010, 10:54 am

This has been discussed fairly recently, and a link was posted to a video by a friend on another forum who has not found his way over here yet.  It is a very good tutorial about the different ways of using a mouth call to purr.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TRKYHTR1#p/a/u/2/HOX3cgUoIi4

Jim

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 19th, 2010, 4:28 am

Thats great Jim, thanks for the link!

OptimO

Postby OptimO » September 23rd, 2010, 3:22 am

I'm a little late with this response but I'll try to help anyways. When I make a purr on my mouth call i try to pretend I'm gargling water, I bounce my throat. My tongue stays constant on the reeds of the call and I achieve the "purr" sound with the rapid movement of my throat. I've tried moving my lips as well as flicking my tongue but the only way I can create a realistic purr is with my throat. Hope this helps somebody.
SCOUT HARD... HUNT HARDER

My YouTube Channel>> http://www.youtube.com/user/OptimONY?feature=mhum

shawnthomson

Postby shawnthomson » September 23rd, 2010, 12:14 pm

What i can suggest is just blow softly with your lips closed. Picture yourself making the sound that people make when they are tired and wore out. Once you get a basic sound coming out, you can tweek and purrr-fect it. Once again just keep your lips closed and the pressure should vibrate your lips.

Shawn Thomson
Pro Staff
Bag Limit Custom Calls

BagLimitCustomCalls.com
bringing em in

Return to Calling