"I heard no calling...."

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
eggshell

RE: "I heard no calling...."

Postby eggshell » May 30th, 2011, 6:36 am

You all are right a gobbler hears way more than we imagine. As a general rule I call loud in early season and get progressively softer and less frequent with my calling as season progresses. I done very little loud calling this year as I have found wet weather makes birds way more cautious and if you observe flocks they will be communicate less and quieter when it's wet. I personally like a dryer woods as your walking will help simulate a walking hen, if done right. That makes moving part of the strategy. This year I shot two of my birds with one soft call, a very slight whine. One bird I had actually been calling  too and moved on to about 65 yards, then a soft call got him to finish. The other in Ky I used scott's slate with so slight a pressure that I felt I wasn't hardly touching the slate. Those birds were 150 yards and walked right to us, this is the bird that flopped in the river on me. How you call is part of my READING, WRITING AND ARITHMETIC, see earlier thread.

As for what constitutes a killable Gobbler. First I would say I am a turkey "HUNTER" not just a turkey caller. I will shoot any bird that falls for any part of my strategy. I'm not into shooting a bird that I just walk up on. Although, if it's the last few days of season and I have an open tag, I will take a meat bird if he presents himself. I would include a bird who fell to strategy as any bird I got in range of by many different means, this includes a bird I patterned over several hunting trips, a bird that was moving down a ridge I moved ahead of, a bird I set up and called in classic style or any other scenario that was the result of a deliberate set of tactics. Most of my birds have been called to, but not all. This is one of those areas that is entirely hunter preference. I do respect those who set a standard that they want to call their birds to a set up, kudos to them. However, do not criticize them or someone else who holds different choices as having done less. If your willing to live with your choices then go for it.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 30th, 2011, 9:03 am

Eggshell I agree totally, and I might add leaving the house/camp at 3 am dressed in camo and carring a weapon is considered strategy.[;)][;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » May 30th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Interesting stuff here.  My personal theory is that hunters over time learn what works for them in the places they hunt.  Becoming stagnant in ones calling and hunting tactics is a sure way to end up less successful than one might be otherwise, especially if you are hunting unfamiliar territory.  Learning to adapt to whatever conditions you are presented with is what kills gobblers. 

Sometimes that means calling less,...and sometimes that means calling more.  I fully agree that it is almost invariably best to start off softly and with minimal calling.  One must be flexible enough, and confident enough in his calling ability, to wander out of the comfort zone on occasion.  The adage that "less is more" is often completely true,....but so is the adage that "more is more" at times.  Understanding when and where each has its place is a learning process we go through as turkey hunters.  Unfortunately, it is a "consistently inconsistent" process, for the most part.

Jim

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » May 31st, 2011, 2:16 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblerman

Interesting stuff here.  My personal theory is that hunters over time learn what works for them in the places they hunt.  Becoming stagnant in ones calling and hunting tactics is a sure way to end up less successful than one might be otherwise, especially if you are hunting unfamiliar territory.  Learning to adapt to whatever conditions you are presented with is what kills gobblers. 

Sometimes that means calling less,...and sometimes that means calling more.  I fully agree that it is almost invariably best to start off softly and with minimal calling.  One must be flexible enough, and confident enough in his calling ability, to wander out of the comfort zone on occasion.  The adage that "less is more" is often completely true,....but so is the adage that "more is more" at times.  Understanding when and where each has its place is a learning process we go through as turkey hunters.  Unfortunately, it is a "consistently inconsistent" process, for the most part.

Jim

" Becoming stagnant in ones calling and hunting tactics..."    Great point, Gman.  I'm guilty of becoming stagnant...   Thanks for the reminder.  Putting that in my notes.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 31st, 2011, 2:31 am

As for what constitutes a killable Gobbler. First I would say I am a turkey "HUNTER" not just a turkey caller. I will shoot any bird that falls for any part of my strategy. I'm not into shooting a bird that I just walk up on. Although, if it's the last few days of season and I have an open tag, I will take a meat bird if he presents himself. I would include a bird who fell to strategy as any bird I got in range of by many different means, this includes a bird I patterned over several hunting trips, a bird that was moving down a ridge I moved ahead of, a bird I set up and called in classic style or any other scenario that was the result of a deliberate set of tactics. Most of my birds have been called to, but not all. This is one of those areas that is entirely hunter preference. I do respect those who set a standard that they want to call their birds to a set up, kudos to them. However, do not criticize them or someone else who holds different choices as having done less. If your willing to live with your choices then go for it.
[quote]ORIGINAL: eggshell

Amen! Whatever it takes!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 1st, 2011, 7:58 am

I'd like to add;  Just because he hears you doesn't mean he will automatically head your direction.  I've had gobblers come in a full hour after the last call I made.  Turkeys play by their own rules & we happen to be lucky enough to catch them in a moment of weakness from time to time.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » June 5th, 2011, 5:36 am

Eggshell I agree totally, and I might add leaving the house/camp at 3 am dressed in camo and carring a weapon is considered strategy.
ORIGINAL: retranger

Eggshell I agree totally, and I might add leaving the house/camp at 3 am dressed in camo and carring a weapon is considered strategy.[;)][;)]

I love this one retranger. All I can say is a hearty, "AMEN"!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Previous

Return to Calling